Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 days of bliss, now my PC only starts in via the onboard graphics again

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Graphicool1

Graphicool1

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:45 AM

This morning the mouse pointer kept freezing, every three or four minutes, for about half a second at a time. So I decided to run an anti-malware and an anti-spyware programme, namely 'Super Anti-Spyware' (SAS) this found nothing. So then I ran 'Malwarebytes Anti-Malware' this found 3 PUPS and put them in  quarantine. Then it said you'll have to reboot to complete the process, I did. However, the PC never started again, I tried a couple of times, but no go. So then I plugged the monitor to the Intel integral onboard graphics and it started straight away.

Over the past 3 days since I installed my NVIDIA graphics card via 'Safe Mode' it had been coming on everytime I turned on and even when I rebooted until this morning. Although I must add that the problem with the mouse started not long after I installed the graphics card.

Another thing that has also started happening around this time too is that Windows kept wanting me to auto run an eternal HDD. Following that it is telling me that I can't run it unless I format it first. I've had this HDD trouble in the past and at that time (a couple of months ago) I backed up it's entire contents and formatted it. But now it wants me to do it again?

Anyway I don't believe that the problems with the mouse and HDD are neccessarily connected to the graphics card not connecting.

Three days ago I thought I'd found nivana, but sadly my euphoria was short lived now I just want closure.

Edited by Graphicool1, 10 March 2015 - 08:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

You have a bunch of different threads with a similar issue with your video card not working or being detected. From what I have gathered so far, this issue is hardware related. I feel it is worth including these threads here since the issue appears to be the same:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/568260/monitor-doesnt-always-see-the-pci-e-gpu-no-signal-detected/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565770/intermittently-my-monitor-says-no-signal-detected/

A few things we can be certain about: if the computer doesn't post (as in no bios screen) this is a hardware level issue. No amount of software/drivers will fix a no post issue. A computer with working hardware will always be able to display a bios splash screen or post screen, no windows or OS software is required for this to happen, the bios does the work.

What piece of hardware is causing the issue or is bad is the real question.

I may have missed certain parts of your posts (I quickly glanced at them) however if you have spare parts it is time to start trying with those. I would try with a different video card, a different power supply etc...

Again, a no post (no splash screen or bios) indicates a hardware level issue.

If removing your video card from the computer has resolved the issue every single time, that is a decent sign your video card has a problem. I would replace that as a first test. It is also possible for a PSU to cause an issue or the motherboard, or even the cpu, all of these components can cause issues. If you have a different pci-e slot, you could test the card in that slot.

I am going to read through some of your other threads a bit more closely.

It also sounds like your hard drive is connecting/disconnecting. For now I would like you to connect all of your hard drives to the computer and then run speccy (you may have to use your intel graphics if you have issues with your video card).

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.
  • Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Edited by zingo156, 10 March 2015 - 09:50 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

The random freezing of your mouse might be tied to the hard drive if that hard drive has an issue being read. Often when working on failing hard drives I had issues with freezing music, mouse pointers, key presses etc. Bad hard drives will cause a whole bunch of random issues in windows. Being that the hard drive appears to be disconnecting and reconnecting (prompting for auto run) and also requesting a format, might suggest the hard drive has a problem.

Even though this might not seem connected to the video card issue, it certainly could be and two components in particular might cause both of these issues: Power supply, or the motherboard.

That said, this is more of a FYI. Speccy might indicate an issue with the hard drive if you have it plugged in when you run that scan.

Edited by zingo156, 10 March 2015 - 10:18 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:50 AM

Hi Zingo 156

I haven't got another Graphics card or PSU. But here is the Speccy result using the onboard integrated graphics...

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/YPieSaeZUSkuqq5tYCHwbO0

Edited by Graphicool1, 10 March 2015 - 11:03 AM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:10 AM

Your 500gb drive appears to be having read errors, whether the hard drive is bad or something else (such as the psu) I do not know yet:

01 Attribute name: Read Error Rate
Real value: 0
Current: 200
Worst: 200
Threshold: 51
Raw Value: 0000000200

The hard drive does not show any other signs of failure such as bad blocks etc. It does not appear that windows is installed on this drive so for the time being you might want to disconnect the drive from the computer, just in case this is causing an issue.

The other hard drives look ok going off SMART data alone. One thing to note: just because SMART indicates something is "good" does not always mean the drive is ok if you want to read more about smart data check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

A few things to look at with reguard to the external USB drive: visually inspect the usb port you are using for damaged/bent pins etc. It would be a good idea to look at all of the USB ports while you are at it since one bad port can cause issues with all of the rest of them. If the USB drive continues to have issues, you might try it on a different computer or with a different USB cable if you have the option, or you could consider removing it from the USB enclosure and attaching it directly to a sata port. Often times USB enclosures have issues or the chipsets can fail. Before we consider trying this, it is wise to say that a bad power supply, bad usb port, or bad motherboard might cause the same issue as well.

Speccy did not show all of the voltages so I can not determine by looking at the speccy report if your psu has any obvious issues.

The next thing to do will be to download and run HWmonitor http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor-pro.html (on the left side there are 2 download options). Basically open HWmonitor let it run for about 30 minutes to an hour, then take a screen shot using the snipping tool or PrtScn, and post that picture here, you may have to use something like dropbox etc. Make sure that any of the drop down menus related to voltages are dropped down if there is an option to do so.

Edited by zingo156, 10 March 2015 - 11:12 AM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:22 AM

To give you an idea of what I am looking for with HWmonitor please look at this image: http://screenshots.en.sftcdn.net/en/scrn/68000/68990/hwmonitor-4.jpg

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:42 AM

I forgot to mention, when you are running HWmonitor, do everything you normally would do. Even try some games. The idea is to test the PSU, if it has an issue, it is likely it would show up when it is being stressed, running games will put more load on the psu compared to an idle machine.

#8 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:35 PM

Try this

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/512/jbp4RW.jpg

It was difficult putting it under any strain. The only games I can play with these onboard graphics is solitair and I doubt if that would strain a gnat.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to shoot off in a few minutes and won't be online again untill tomorrow, at around 8 am UK time. Which I guess is probably the middle of the night for you.

Edited by Graphicool1, 10 March 2015 - 12:41 PM.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

I can see the image, unfortunately it does not show the 5v or 12v rail. This might be an issue with the software reading the sensors, a bad driver, or a lack of sensors. Did you install your motherboard chipset drivers yet? If not I would get those and then try HWmonitor again, check if new voltages show up: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61M_LEUSB3/HelpDesk_Download/

Description Intel Chipset Driver V9.3.0.1019 for Windows XP 32bit---(WHQL).
Intel Chipset Driver V9.3.0.1019 for Windows XP 64bit & Win7 32bit---(WHQL).
Intel Chipset Driver V9.3.0.1019 for Windows Vista 32bit & Vista 64bit---(WHQL).
Intel Chipset Driver V9.3.0.1019 for Windows Win7 64bit---(WHQL).
File Size 245.99 MBytesupdate 2014/09/19 Download from Global

I am going to look on Asus's website to see if there are any other utilities that might help us see those voltages, if you have a multimeter I can post instructions on how to manually check the voltages.

Edited by zingo156, 10 March 2015 - 12:47 PM.

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:43 PM

I believe Asus Probe II will show the correct voltages, it is part of this software:

Description ASUS AI Suite II V2.01.01 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Vista 32bit & Vista 64bit & Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit.
ASUS Update ( EZ Update ) V2.00.11 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Vista 32bit & Vista 64bit & Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit.
EPU V1.03.23 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Vista 32bit & Vista 64bit & Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit.
FAN Xpert V1.01.11 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Vista 32bit & Vista 64bit & Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit.
GPU Boost V1.01.05 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Vista 32bit & Vista 64bit & Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit.
MyLogo V1.03.06 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Vista 32bit & Vista 64bit & Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit.

Probe II V1.00.51 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Vista 32bit & Vista 64bit & Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit.
System Information V1.02.15 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Vista 32bit & Vista 64bit & Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit.
TurboV EVO V1.01.43 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Vista 32bit & Vista 64bit & Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit.
File Size 131.25 MBytesupdate 2013/02/07 Download from Global

Edited by zingo156, 10 March 2015 - 12:43 PM.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:44 PM

Try to take a picture when using probe ii similar to this one: http://images.anandtech.com/doci/6850/ASUS%20MVF%20Software%2027%20-%20Probe%20Voltage.png

I am not sure what that software offers in terms of monitoring, if it can monitor the voltages try to do that as I will be looking for the min, avg, max etc if possible.

Edited by zingo156, 10 March 2015 - 12:46 PM.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:48 PM

4 posts in a row, lots to read, I'll shorten it up :). Try the chipset drivers and then HWmonitor again, if the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v are not shown, then try the Probe II software.

Edited by zingo156, 10 March 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#13 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

Well it looks like I've got my homework for tomorrow morning. While I'm waiting for you to come online. :)

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:50 PM

Indeed, I made it short and simple in post #12. Let me know if you have questions.

#15 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:32 AM

Hi Zingo

I thought I should let you know that my PC booted via my NVIDIA PCI-E Graphics Card this morning. So I thought I'd send you a Speccy, so you could compare it with the one I did yesterday?

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/0izzGSmn6UeKy3QsFzRO1AF

Also I noted that it isn't just the mouse pointer that freezes, but the keyboard too. However, this only happens at boot and only lasts for around 30 minutes. I don't mean that it freezes for 30 mins, but it happens on and off during that time.

I downloaded and installed the Chipset and it rebooted via the NVIDIA GPCI-E Graphics Card again. However even on reboot the mouse and the keyboard has had issues, again, but it only lasted for around 5 minutes. I'm thinking that perhaps I need to update my USB drivers. The mouse scroll doesn't always work either. At one stage I thought perhaps it might have been to do with the MoBo battery, but I ruled that out out because the clock is keeping time.

Here's the HWMonitor results. I've had to post it in two bits because of NVIDIA it wouldn't fit on the screen this time...

http://imageshack.com/i/ipHOiAMdj

I've downloaded the AI Suite II V2, but as yet I haven't installed it. Because it has 2 setup applications. The first being...

AsusSetup  1,191 KB

The other is...

AII Setup  3,949 KB

There isn't a 'Read Me'

Given the choice I'd like other 'apps' in that package too, not just the 'Probe'. It seems to give me the choice to install each componant separately. Because each folder has a 'Setup'. So I'd like to be selective, installing only what I want if that is really possible?   

I don't know what the following are or if I need them...

'ALevel Patch'

'DrvResource'

'EPU-6'

'ImageResource'

'Matrix_1.03.01'

'TurbV EVO'

But I'd like to have...

'ASUSUpdate'

and I guess...

'Probe_II'

Edited by Graphicool1, 11 March 2015 - 07:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users