Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suspected Hard Drive Problem, Win 8

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pat71896

pat71896

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/568971/bsod-win7-1-64bit-professional-unused-for-over-1-year/ - Hamluis.

Well, My Win 8 felt sympathy for my Win 7 and is now being a problem again.  The Win 8 had its HD replaced in January 2015, but this HD is failing too.  It has a hard time bringing up software and won't update the sign off (and the input) on the HD. 

That does sound like a HD issue, right?  (Win 8.1).

Then my embroidery machine felt like joining the crap pile, so with 2 pcs and 1 sewing machine out of order, I am just about out of any patience and, of course, sanity.

I am still going to be trying the suggestions here, just not today or in the immediate millennium.  

I would be overwhelmed, but technically, I am not under water, I am just full of issues right now. 

May you be blessed in ways you have not yet imagined.  Pat

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2015 - 07:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:27 PM

Pat, if you want, follow the instructions below for your Windows 8 computer to see if the hard drive is really failing.

JcJ91sx.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:
  • Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop;
  • Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe;
  • Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name);
  • Go in the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete);
  • Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your next reply;
  • Also, go in the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply);
    info_failing.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users