Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Freezing with Loud Buzzing Noise and Power Cycling

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zar1

Zar1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:50 AM

Hi all,

Build:

MSI z87-G45 (AMI EFI BIOS v1.7)

i5-4670k (stable OC at 4.2 gHz)

2 x G.Skill Ares 4 GB DDR-1600

ASUS GTX 760

Samsung 120 GB 840 EVO

EVGA 650W PSU

Windows 8.1 pro

Ever since I built my rig a year ago, I've been plagued by these issues:

• Random freezing (often times accompanied by a loud, scratching/buzzing noise coming from the speakers/headphones)
  • Random restarts
  • Power cycles a lot before POST.
  • Freezes at "Preparing Automatic Repair" and PC promptly restarts automatically; sometimes freezes at Windows logo (need to manually restart)

Note that these issues don't always appear. Sometimes I can go for a week without issues. Sometimes I get 5-10 power cycles in one day. When they do happen, they cause a minor 2-3 minute inconvenience. But it is annoying since my games work is interrupted.

Things I've tried (not in order):

• Set CPU speed to stock, issues still present. No problems running prime95. OC is also stable with prime95. Tested GPU with Unigine's Heaven, temperatures were fine.
  • Monitored temperatures during freezing using HWiNFO. It's stable, but it's also hard to simulate the conditions for freezing/crashing. It's completely random.
  • BIOS update to v1.9 aggravates the freezing/random restarts. v1.8 keeps freezing/restarting at startup. v1.7 is what I have and is "stable".
  • Reinstalled OS, problems still present.
  • Moved GPU to another PCI slot, no change.
  • Breadboarded without the GPU, I can see artifacts on the screen when it freezes which made me suspect a RAM issue (could also be CPU?)
  • Used 1 stick of RAM in 2nd and 4th slot, worked fine. Used the 2nd stick of RAM in both 2nd and 4th slot, and I get power cycling. So I thought I finally found the cause. Ran memtest86 with both sticks in 2nd and 4th slot, no problems found. Great. Plugged the 2nd "faulty" stick in the 4th slot and ran memtest for 6 hours (8 passses), no errors found.

I still plan on testing each stick of RAM in each slot and running memtest for 8 passes. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zar1

Zar1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:28 PM

Just ran another memtest for both sticks, still no errors. :c

#3 onafets

onafets

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:08 AM

RANDOM GAME, RANDOM SYSTEM FREEZE and LOUD BUZZING ANNOYING NOISE?

Yup - Can you Answer YES to the Following:

MAYBE - MSI MOTHERBOARD???
YES - ON-BOARD SOUND
YES - REALTEK DRIVERS
YES - LOUD BUZZING NOISE
YES - RANDOM GAMES (confirmed CSGO and ANYTHING BLIZZARD)

Then Uninstall your MOBO REALTEK drivers and let Windows decide what to choose.  
Windows will install default drivers and then your problems may or may not be solved  :(

For me - today, I can play CSGO, and every single game out there - EXCEPT for ANYTHING BLIZZARD.  So, no more HOTS or D3, but at least CSGO works...

ABOUT TO TOSS THIS MSI on-board sound CRAP OUT THE WINDOW...and just get a decent sound card and new headset...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users