MSI z87-G45 (AMI EFI BIOS v1.7)
i5-4670k (stable OC at 4.2 gHz)
2 x G.Skill Ares 4 GB DDR-1600
ASUS GTX 760
Samsung 120 GB 840 EVO
EVGA 650W PSU
Windows 8.1 pro
Ever since I built my rig a year ago, I've been plagued by these issues:
- Random freezing (often times accompanied by a loud, scratching/buzzing noise coming from the speakers/headphones)
- Random restarts
- Power cycles a lot before POST.
- Freezes at "Preparing Automatic Repair" and PC promptly restarts automatically; sometimes freezes at Windows logo (need to manually restart)
Note that these issues don't always appear. Sometimes I can go for a week without issues. Sometimes I get 5-10 power cycles in one day. When they do happen, they cause a minor 2-3 minute inconvenience. But it is annoying since my
games work is interrupted.
Things I've tried (not in order):
- Set CPU speed to stock, issues still present. No problems running prime95. OC is also stable with prime95. Tested GPU with Unigine's Heaven, temperatures were fine.
- Monitored temperatures during freezing using HWiNFO. It's stable, but it's also hard to simulate the conditions for freezing/crashing. It's completely random.
- BIOS update to v1.9 aggravates the freezing/random restarts. v1.8 keeps freezing/restarting at startup. v1.7 is what I have and is "stable".
- Reinstalled OS, problems still present.
- Moved GPU to another PCI slot, no change.
- Breadboarded without the GPU, I can see artifacts on the screen when it freezes which made me suspect a RAM issue (could also be CPU?)
- Used 1 stick of RAM in 2nd and 4th slot, worked fine. Used the 2nd stick of RAM in both 2nd and 4th slot, and I get power cycling. So I thought I finally found the cause. Ran memtest86 with both sticks in 2nd and 4th slot, no problems found. Great. Plugged the 2nd "faulty" stick in the 4th slot and ran memtest for 6 hours (8 passses), no errors found.
I still plan on testing each stick of RAM in each slot and running memtest for 8 passes. Any advice is appreciated!