Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help On Memory Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 billgateskickedmydog

billgateskickedmydog

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:42 AM

Hi,

I want to purchase some RAM for my computer and am a bit unsure on what to get. Here is some info:

My computer is an HP Media Center PC m8125x: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Media-Center-m8000-Desktop-PC-series/3440688/model/3442911/product-info

HP Media Center m8125x PC
Windows Vista Home - 32 bit
Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 2.40Ghz
Currently has 2GB DDR2 Memory (two 1 GB sticks)

According to CPU-Z the sticks are each:

DDR2
Modular Size: 1024 Mbytes
Max Bandwidth: PC2-5300 (333 MHz) 

Upon checking "Performance Information and Tools" in control panel, my computer is in fact 64-bit capable.

I want to buy one 2gb stick of RAM to bring the total to 4gb, and then in about a month I want to wipe the computer and install a 64-bit version of Windows 7 and buy an additional three sticks of 2gb RAM to bring the total to 8GB.

I am just wondering what RAM I should buy for this purpose?

According to the manufacturers memory upgrade section it says:

Dual channel memory architecture
Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
Supported DIMM types:
PC2-4200 (533 MHz)
PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 2 GB DDR2 DIMMs
Supports 8 GB on 64 bit PCs
Supports 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs

I've never bougten RAM before so I am just wondering which is best to buy for my computer and purpose?

Thanks!

Edited by billgateskickedmydog, 10 March 2015 - 03:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:39 AM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer

Hi,

I want to purchase some RAM for my computer and am a bit unsure on what to get. Here is some info:

My computer is an HP Media Center PC m8125x: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Media-Center-m8000-Desktop-PC-series/3440688/model/3442911/product-info

HP Media Center m8125x PC
Windows Vista Home - 32 bit
Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 2.40Ghz
Currently has 2GB DDR2 Memory (two 1 GB sticks)
According to CPU-Z the sticks are each:
DDR2
Modular Size: 1024 Mbytes
Max Bandwidth: PC2-5300 (333 MHz) 
Upon checking "Performance Information and Tools" in control panel, my computer is in fact 64-bit capable.

I want to buy one 2gb stick of RAM to bring the total to 4gb, and then in about a month I want to wipe the computer and install a 64-bit version of Windows 7 and buy an additional three sticks of 2gb RAM to bring the total to 8GB.

Your computer uses the RAM in Dual channel memory architecture this means you should install the memory modules in pairs and because they should match there are kits of 2 in the market for this.

If you add only one dimm of 2GB it may or not work but the memory access will not be optimal, in some machines the BIOS detect this and will give you a warning.

I am just wondering what RAM I should buy for this purpose?

According to the manufacturers memory upgrade section it says:

Dual channel memory architecture
Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
Supported DIMM types:
PC2-4200 (533 MHz)
PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 2 GB DDR2 DIMMs
Supports 8 GB on 64 bit PCs
Supports 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs
I've never bougten RAM before so I am just wondering which is best to buy for my computer and purpose?

Thanks!

Faster is always better :) if you can look for PC2-6400 Modules.

One last note, if you mix modules with different speeds the system will access all memory using the lower speed (example if you mix PC2-5300 with PC2-6400 modules the memory access will be at 667Mhz).

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:44 AM

and just to note also...

If you put 3 sticks of RAM in your system will only run as single memory channel, not dual. So you need to put your new RAM in slots 1 and 3, and not use the old stick at all.

#4 billgateskickedmydog

billgateskickedmydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:04 PM

Hi Fellas,

So are you all suggesting that I should scrap my stock RAM (two sticks of 1GB PC2-5300) and instead purchase two sticks of 2GB PC2-6400 RAM that come as a set? Is this the best option?  Then later when I upgrade to 64-bit I can just buy the same pair again for slot 2 & 4?

Specifically would this RAM be ideal for me/work?: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

In case you dont open link:

RAM = G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

Many thanks 

Edited by billgateskickedmydog, 10 March 2015 - 05:31 PM.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

Yes that is the best option as stated above if you use that old memory with your new memory it will stay at the slowest module speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users