Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade System - Help Required

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lightningllama

lightningllama

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:39 AM

Before I list my system specifications I will tell you first why and what.

So why? I need to upgrade because I am on YouTube and suprise suprise my content is gaming dominated. But this isn't exactly why it's more the reason as to why. What I mean is, is that when creating videos I have to do a few certain things that take quite a toll on my beloved custom first build PC.

...What? Okay I'll get to the point. I use Bandicam to record gameplay (best FPS I have experienced, yes  better than Fraps.) This isn't a problem. Running the game, here is where it gets interesting. Playing the game I would get smooth gameplay without recording that's while all the settings are on low and look something less appealing than Minecraft on low settings.

Now let's use an example game to understand what we are dealing with or two. Tomb Raider, beautiful game, yet I can only manage on lowest settings, I still manage around 50-60 FPS which is bearable for playable I suppose. But whilst Bandicam is running as well the frames take a hit and the screen starts to tear.

Recently buying Advanced Warfare you might understand my frustration and concern when I seen minimum requirements 8GB of RAM, that's exactly what I have. I WAS ONLY GETTING THE MINIMUM?! Devastated. It still managed to play on a shocking frame rate, gameplay was actually suprisingly able. But not smooth or pretty.

Then there is video editing! the final hurtle and it's a doozy. When editing a video the video editor (Camtasia Studio 8) often crashes or stutters with watching the video in the video editor. This is the only way to know for sure everything you have is aligned appropriately and will sound on que and display on que. Not being able to do this it's a guessing game when it comes out at the end if it makes any sense or if it all seems perfectly timed and alligned.

So what do I need the upgrade for? To play games at maximum settings at at least 60FPS, no screen tearing or any other BS like that. To also be able to edit flawlessy without any lag in video playback through the editor and it's ability to render faster. (a 10-20 minute video takes around 2-3 hours, if I am lucky).

My price range...well I don't really have one but the cheaper the better. Considering I will be saving up $50 every two weeks. This is the amount I have come to when I take out rent, food, internet, travel and entertainment. Isn't Australia wonderful.

So in 4-6 months I would be getting somewhere in regards of money but in the mean-time I need quality informatation and suggestions on parts for the upgrade. I will post my current computer details when I get home but what I need to upgrade as far as I am aware  is...

CPU

GPU

Motherboard

RAM

Any suggestions or help is valued, thank you for reading if you did and helping me out. Cheers! :bounce:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lightningllama

lightningllama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:31 AM

Update!

Current specifications;

CPU-Intel Core i5 3470

GPU-EVGA GeForce GTX 650Ti Superclocked (BOOST)

RAM-G.Skill Ripjaws X F-3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3

Motherboard-ASRock B75M-R2 Motherboard

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

Looks like a good start.  I would also get an SSD for the Operating system and essential softwares and a larger sized regular Hard drive for storage of your videos.

#4 lightningllama

lightningllama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:47 PM

That's the current specifications but in the essay I wrote unwittingly, it explains the issues I have with the current hardware not performing well enough for what I am doing, could you suggest some new hardware for me?

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:45 PM

Wooops my mistake.. It is hard to tell .. without being able to mess around with it myself to see where your problem lies.  If its cpu performance .. I am not sure ( but you should be able to tell with system monitor) where your ' bottleneck ' is.  If I were to guess I would suppose you may also benefit from binding affinity to a different core if you see some of your cores are doing nothing while one or two are doing all the work.  Plus if the program/s your using do not support more than one core then binding may work better for you.  It could also be your video card.  Take a look here: According to this you have the low end video card for doing what your doing.  Here is a comparison vs. your card and a GTX980.

Excerpt taken from the second link above:

Video Card
Mostly, you want a video card that can make your games look as good as possible. The best video cards are out of most people's reach, so we'll take a look at the minimum you'll need. You shouldn't go any lower than the GeForce GTX 650 Ti or the Radeon 7770. These cards will run most games on high settings with 1600 x 900 resolution. If you want to record higher resolutions, then you'll want to look at better video cards.

You may be getting into IO lag from hard drive reading so maybe an SSD upgrade would be good. 

Also software settings.  There may be some software settings with your capture program that will bypass software ' recording ' and hook directly to the video card.  I know fraps had a setting for this a few years back but it could be different now.

I think you need to do some research testing and find where your bottleneck is.  I hope this helps and apologize for my previous misunderstanding.  Good luck and hope you let us know how your research goes.  Basically (I don't think) that your cpu is the problem.  Though it could be. As the above website suggest you want a core i7 with hyperthreading support.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 10 March 2015 - 08:52 PM.

#6 lightningllama

lightningllama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:08 PM

More than I could have asked for, thank you for all the helpful information, links and advice! I will definitely check it all out and do some more homework now I have a clearer understanding what I'm looking for, I'll get back to you with some results in the very near future :)

#7 lightningllama

lightningllama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:10 AM

I had an image but I couldn't understand how to upload it. Anyway I downloaded Advanced System Care's usage monitor and at this current moment running Call of Duty : Advanced Warfare the RAM usage is at 55% and the CPU is at 65% but that is just at the menu.

#8 lightningllama

lightningllama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:13 AM

CPU jumped to 74% whilst in the lobby.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:29 AM

Assuming your case and power supply can handle it, getting a new graphics card would be a good starting point with the GTX 970 or 980 series. 

You could also replace your current CPU with an LGA 1155 i7, but these are difficult to find in Australia at reasonable prices.  Replacing your motherboard with a current LGA 1150 is an option, but you will also need to buy a new CPU and Windows license to go along with it. 

Buying an SSD is also an option to speed things up if you move Windows and a few of your frequently used programs over to it.

Upgrading your RAM is also a possibility to get the the maximum 16GB your current motherboard allows, but that board only has two RAM slots.

3939.png

#10 lightningllama

lightningllama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:02 AM

My case is the NZXT Phantom Red Full Tower Case and it has 875W PSU. If you were to suggest a build to achieve what I am doing BC Advisor what would that be if you could be so kind. Also would an SSD be wise to play games on, meaning would the game run more smoothly on an SSD rather than a HDD and would the difference be worth it if it works that way, thanks :0)

#11 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

Okay by the looks of it then it appears your cpu Is indeed your ' bottleneck ' so you would probably greatly benefit from a new mobo and i7 chip.  As stated above you will need a new OS as the auth is tied to the mainboard.  When you can upgrade to a newer video card if your still seeing questionable performance. And yes and SSD improves all around performance theres just no comparison to an SSD.  My computer boots up and is ready for action in less than 8 seconds.  All my applications load almost immediatly.  SSDs are simply amazing in all my years of computing SSD's are the most exciting newer technology.  Expensive as they are.. they are worth it in my opinion.

So: My suggestions:

I74790

Asus Z97A

8GbRam

500GB SSD

Obviously none of this is cheap.  But those are my suggestions.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:31 AM

I could suggest a build, but if I understand your calculations correctly ($50 every two weeks for six months), your budget is roughly $600 AUD.  Pricing is going to be an issue since the cost of the components is going to be higher in Australia.  Some U.S.-based shippers also do not ship there and the currency conversion plus shipping charges would further eat into your budget.  That said, you should prioritize what you want to do first.

You can get an SSD to reduce the boot times of your PC and games, but, once data is loaded into memory, the SSD isn't used as heavily.  This makes the SSD a good choice for programs that frequently access the hard drive.  Something like the Samsung 850 EVO Series 500GB ($300 AUD) would be an excellent choice.

You can also purchase a new graphics card, such as the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ($499 AUD).

A more comprehensive upgrade would be a platform update to an LGA 1150 system.  A Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H Motherboard ($179 AUD), paired with an Intel Core i7 4790 ($419 AUD) would be good.  You can reuse your current RAM, but you will need to repurchase a Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM ($135 AUD) license (Assuming you use a standard OEM license now and not a full, boxed retail copy), which will put you over your budget.

Edited by DJBPace07, 12 March 2015 - 05:39 AM.

3939.png

#13 lightningllama

lightningllama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

Sorry my maths sucks, I am looking to save around $1200 to get all the parts

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:29 AM

If that's the case, you should have enough money to buy almost everything on my list, with the exception of an SSD.  You could hold off buying that SSD or get a smaller, less expensive one.

3939.png

#15 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:07 PM

Update!

Current specifications;

CPU-Intel Core i5 3470

GPU-EVGA GeForce GTX 650Ti Superclocked (BOOST)

RAM-G.Skill Ripjaws X F-3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3

Motherboard-ASRock B75M-R2 Motherboard

Llama,

Since you live in Australia and as you have been told so far, computer components are higher in Australia, I do not know why that is.

{In all honesty, I think the computer manufacturers are trying to rip off the Australians, but there's not a whole lot I can or anyone can do about it at this time.}

Having interjected my little political comment...

Let's move onto my suggested computer build using Australian Dollars budget to be no more than $1,200.

A few notes to look at:

This is built using the i5-4690k processor which at this time will do everything fast. You can overclock this processor all the way up to 4.4 GHz (I think, but not certain) if you need to overclock the processor.

With 12 GB of system memory, you'll be good to go for a good while.

I picked the motherboard with the Z97 Intel chipset, which will enable you to upgrade to an i7 processor in the future if the need arises.

The other reason why I picked this motherboard is that it will accept both Crossfire and SLi graphic cards.

In simple terms:

Crossfire = AMD Crossfire cards

SLi = Nvidia SLi cards.

By choosing this motherboard, you will have flexibility to upgrade to faster and more powerful graphic cards in the future.

One item to note... NEVER, mix AMD with Nvidia cards in the same computer! You will run into all kinds of problems! Just don't do it!

I have used Western Digital hard drives (HDDs) with great success over the years. It's not to say that Seagate HDDs are bad, I just have had fewer failures with WD than I have had with Seagates.

I do not like Solid State Drives due to their unreliability when it comes to electrical power surges or even almost any kind of electrical interruption that your community may experience will have a negative affect on SSDs.

If you have data on the SSD, the SSD can potentially lose ALL of your data, if you don't have a good backup program that will backup your data throughout the day.

With HDDs, you don't have to worry to much about electrical issues affecting the HDDS because of the way the data is written.

Without further delay, here is my suggested computer build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($323.00 @ Centre Com) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($189.00 @ IJK) 
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($56.98 @ Mwave Australia) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($259.00 @ Scorptec) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($85.00 @ CPL Online) 
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($99.00 @ PLE Computers) 
Total: $1200.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-19 14:49 EST+1100

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users