Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Black Screen before windows logon

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kmoonen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:46 PM

Hi There

I have a black screen before windows logon with a cursor, all safe mode options have the same thing, tried last known config + low res. any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Victoria-Joe

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:05 AM

Mainly this problem occurs because of video adapter. So, first check it properly. Else try the below remedy for this problem:

First click on the task manager and then click on start task manager. Just then click on the processes tab -> explorer.exe -> end process.

Now click on file -> run. A text box will open in front of you, enter explorer.exe and press ok then.

Now click on the start button and type device manager into it. Then select it from the list. Just then double click on Display adapters and then click on update driver software and follow the steps to update the drivers.

If still the problem not solved then check the registry issues. Else run system restore and boot it in safe mode.

#3 Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,323 posts
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

Hi kmoonen :)

Do you have access to the Recovery PE ("Repair your computer") option when you press on F8 before Windows boot? Also, you are talking about a blinking cursor like this: _ , right?

Victoria, I doubt kmoonen will be able to do any of this since he cannot even access Windows.

Edited by Aura., 11 March 2015 - 10:10 AM.

Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,173 posts
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:26 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

If this is a custom build, do you have the installation disc for your operating system?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users