Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Properly Setting up a DD-WRT Repeater?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:55 PM

Hello fellow bleepers, and thanks for clicking.

Let's cut to the chase.

My mother hired a wifi package from the ISP wich means i got a wifi modem. That also means bleepty range and my sister is constantly losing connection on her room. 

Now that's where i got fired up and grabbed my old lynksis WRT54G v6 Router and decided to flash it to DD-WRT in order to set it up as a repeater. The thing is that i followed every tutorial out there and i haven't managed to get it working. So now i come to you guys for help.

Any tips?

My intention would be to place the router in a corner somewhere and use it to extend the wifi coverage (i know it halves the speed for that space but some is better than none).

I await your questions.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:18 PM

Is this of any help.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

dd-wrt+repeater+mode

https://www.google.com/search?q=dd-wrt%2Bpin-hole%2Bmode&oq=dd-wrt%2Bpin-hole%2Bmode&aqs=chrome..69i57.12826j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=dd-wrt%2Brepeater%2Bmode

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:15 AM

"Can't get it to work" means what? You can't get the dd-wrt firmware on? or it's on but you dunno what settings are what inside the firmware?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:51 PM

I got the firmware up and running, and i set it up as most guides in the internet say but it seems to have no link to the primary router at all. And now i don't know what to do anymore. Any help is appreciated.

I only need it to be a wifi repeater, no ethernet cables in or out, just have it repeat the wireless signal in order to get extra coverage.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:29 PM

The first thing is: are both routers the same frequency? You can't have a 2.4ghz signal trying to connect to a 5ghz signal, in either direction. 

I can also say that the first time I set up mine I kept forgetting to click Save. So the settings didn't save when I went to another screen. 

Go into the router's firmware. Click Wireless and it should be on Basic setup. This is where you make the bridge to your main router.

Wireless Mode = Repeater

Wireless Mode = Mixed (because that will cover you no matter what the main router is)

Wireless Network Name (SSID) = whatever your main router's SSID is

Click Save down at the bottom of the screen

Just below where you entered that information is the heading: Virtual Interfaces with the a button labeled Add, click Add

Just type the same SSID that you did above and click Save.

So what you have done is told the repeater that it's going to connect to the main router just like any other device would but you need to give it the password of the wireless, just like you do every device. When you want to connect you click on the SSID and then Join and it normally asks you for a password. You enter it and click Connect. It authenticates you and gets you an IP and bam you're connected.

Now we have to tell it what the password is so it can connect to the main router.

Click on Wireless Security

The first one is the Physical(the one that bridges the connection) - this is like any other device connecting.

Security Mode = whatever it is on the main router normally WPA2 Personal

WPA Algorithms = whatever it is on the main router - TKIP or AES or both - when in doubt click the one with them both

WPA Shared key = whatever it is on the main router

Click Save

Then for the Virtual interface you'll want to enter the same things and click Save. 

Making sure you type the SSIDs the same and the passwords the same is REALLY important and clicking SAVE. But you have to make sure they are the same frequency.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:47 PM

Well, since my ISP is Fibertel (I'm in Argentina) i really don't get to know what range it uses, or what technology. Fibertel doesn't let you access your modem, the only hing you can do is configure ecryption, wifi password, turn off wifi, turn off NAT, change the channel of the wifi (from 1 to 11 i think, no corresponding signal width noted anywhere tough) and a couple of things more. But their page has actually been down for a while so i literally have to phone my ISP to turn my Wifi off or do anything like it.

The primary wifi modem is an ARRIS Touchstone SVG6582, i can't find any documentation of it online. The closest i get is a similar motorola one.

I'll make sure i have everything that i can set up as cave dweller indicates, but i fear my lack of knowledge of the channel or connection type might be what's killing me

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:31 AM

The information I can see is that it is has both 2.4 and 5ghz. These are 2 separate signals coming from that device. So whatever the SSIDs are there should be a way to tell the difference between them. 

#8 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

As far as i am aware there's only one wifi network coming out of it, no idea if at 2.4 or 5, i doubt it's at five if it has less range than my old linksys router.

EDIT: 107af39f28.png

That's all they let you change, SSID, Password, WiFi on or off, NAT on or Off, crypt method, access control trough MAC, and transmision channel (That goes from 1 to 11)

And as i said, i haven't been able to change anything in this webpage without having to phone my isp for a couple of months.

Edited by Datcoolguy, 11 March 2015 - 10:59 AM.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

Ok let's assume it's 2.4.

In my instructions:

Wireless Mode = Repeater

Wireless Mode = Mixed (because that will cover you no matter what the main router is)

Wireless Network Name (SSID) = whatever your main router's SSID is - Fibertel WiFi292

Click Save down at the bottom of the screen

Just below where you entered that information is the heading: Virtual Interfaces with the a button labeled Add, click Add

Just type the same SSID (Fibertel WiFi292) that you did above and click Save.

Security Mode =  WPA2 Personal

WPA Algorithms = TKIP + AES use that option in the drop down

WPA Shared key = whatever it is on the main router - this is under the network name(SSID)

Click Save

Then for the Virtual interface you'll want to enter the same things and click Save

#10 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:36 AM

7c110cb732.png

3c696260a3.png

Still no sucess, also i wouldn't mind if the repeater router rebroadcasts the network in another SSID, as long as it still has access to the internet.

EDIT, is there no way to determine in what range is the main router broadcasting?

Edited by Datcoolguy, 11 March 2015 - 11:42 AM.

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:04 PM

Do you have an android smart phone? there is a free app called WiFi analyzer. It will show all the wifi signals in the area. I do not see one that is as easy to use in the app store for iPhone.

when you connect a device to the main router, what is the SSID you see?

#12 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:20 PM

Wirelessly, the name of the wifi network is Fibertel WiFi292

And i'm still running symbian so, you'll have to wait until i get my hands in an android phone

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:12 PM

lol you asked if there was something that could tell you the strength and that is the first thing I knew of. 

where you are setting up the repeater, can other things connect to the main router? even if they sometimes disconnect

#14 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

I have my desktop PC connected via ethernet to the main modem and every other wireless device in the house connected wirelessly to it right now.

I installed wifi analyzer on my sister's cellphone and i found out it's on Channel 1 at 2412 Mhz with WPA2 (The main router that is)

#15 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:35 PM

Can you post a screen shot from the dd-wrt setup page? The screen above is for configuring the dd-wrt wifi not the bridge

Edited by Wand3r3r, 11 March 2015 - 05:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users