Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown operating system, won't boot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KazF

KazF

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:08 PM

I have an Asus G74S. It was working fine yesterday except for being connected to our usual home wifi yet not getting internet. Our other computer, a Mac, accessed it just fine as usual. When I tried to restart my Asus, it only gave me the option to restart Windows normally, which loops me back to the same menu, or enter System Recovery. I tried the system recovery scan 3 times (it took hours each time), restarted between each, and it just keeps bringing me back to the same menu. Perhaps it's because the screen says that it's an unknown operating system.

I can't use a System Restore because the computer says it can't find the operating system and that I need to restart and choose one, though when I restart, it brings me to the same menu and I don't see a way to choose an operating system.

I don't have a recovery disk, but I do have 3 Windows backup disks I burned when the computer was new. I was able to get into BIOS and switch the boot order to load the DVD drive first, but it just asks me if I want to load the disk image, which I don't want to do since that'll erase my files and programs.

The option to choose a system image doesn't automatically detect anything. I have the option to select some drivers. When I open that menu, I can see that my two hard drive partitions (D and E) have their remaining space and files listed, but C is blank. I can open the contents of that backup disk (I just tried the first one), but I'm not sure there are even drivers on it-- just a lot of .sys files. 

Is there anything I can do to fix this without losing my files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:42 AM

I would remove the hard drive...and connect it as a secondary drive on a different system.

I would then try to run the chkdsk /r command on the troublesome partition.  If chkdsk /r reports that it cannot complete (via onscreen error message), please post same.

Louis

#3 KazF

KazF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for the response. Since I'm unable to do that on my own, I had to leave it at a computer place with the means to check. I'll respond when I find out more info. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:58 PM

Well...you could have used a friend's computer to do that, rather than going to a shop.  Friends, coworkers, acquaintances, strangers...they all have computers these days :).

But...it's a step forward, let us know :).

Louis

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:56 AM

Master Boot Record (MBR) could be damage and needs to be repaired can you boot computer into System Recovery Options. You can repair MBR with Hiren's BootCD.

"Hiren’s BootCD"

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

"Repair Infected Master Boot Record (MBR) "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bd73hV0audU#t=129

Edited by FreeBooter, 11 March 2015 - 05:56 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:36 AM

Just my two cents...

Master Boot Record (MBR) could be damage and needs to be repaired can you boot computer into System Recovery Options. You can repair MBR with Hiren's BootCD.

"Hiren’s BootCD"

Hiren's Boot CD is not allowed in Bleeping Computer due to copyright issues.

Alex

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:10 PM

Just my two cents...

"Hiren’s BootCD"

Hiren's Boot CD is not allowed in Bleeping Computer due to copyright issues.

Alex

Thanks for the warning, i thinks this rule also includes "FalconFour's Ultimate Boot CD" correct me if i am wrong please thanks.

2GvnEq2.gif

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:24 PM

Ultimate Boot CDs are only legal if they are created from existing Windows installation discs - which is not in the case of FalconFour's Ultimate Boot CD. So yes, it is not allowed as well.

Alex

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

Ultimate Boot CDs are only legal if they are created from existing Windows installation discs - which is not in the case of FalconFour's Ultimate Boot CD. So yes, it is not allowed as well.

Alex

Thanks Alexstrasza i will next time suggest legal version of the recovery disks.

2GvnEq2.gif

#10 KazF

KazF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:48 PM

Well...you could have used a friend's computer to do that, rather than going to a shop.  Friends, coworkers, acquaintances, strangers...they all have computers these days :).

But...it's a step forward, let us know :).

Louis

I didn't have the actual connectors to do it, but anyway, it turned out that I had two hard drives (one was C, the other had D and E) and the one with the C drive had gone bad so I ended up having it replaced and the data transferred since the price wasn't so bad and I needed it as soon as possible to get any work done. Thanks for trying to help though.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:38 PM

Glad you resolved it...I understand about the time factor :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users