Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted password protected 2013 Excel File

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheSpartan

TheSpartan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:55 PM

Hello,

I have 2 corrupted Excel files that I store on Microsoft SharePoint.  I store hundreds of other Excel 2013 files there, but 2 recently became corrupted.  Actually, the only 2 that became corrupted were password protected.  When I try to open each file, it says that they can't be opened because they are corrupted.

I've tried every available recover option and advice; recover formula, data, excel recovery software, open and repair, etc.  I believe that because the files are password protected, standard Excel recovery programs won't work.  I've tried 6 of the more common ones that come up in a google search and they all can't repair the file.  I can't remove the password because it won't open due to the corruption.  In other words, I don't have the option to enter a password because it says that it is corrupted before I have a chance to enter a password.

I've heard that it might be ransom ware or a virus, but nothing has popped up on my computer and all of my non-password protected Excel files are corrupted.

I've tried opening and repairing the file with Excel 2007, too...no luck.

I'm running Windows 8.1, Excel 2013.  Both corrupted Excel files are small...less than 300 kb.

I have the password, so has anyone else had this problem?  If not, does anyone know of someone I could hire to extract the data that I had in the spreadsheet?

*I have back-ups of these files, but they are months old and I need the recent data from the files....yes, I realize I should back-up more frequently:).

Any help would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,036 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:00 PM

Hello, and Welcome

It is probably a long shot but it's possible your Sharepoint is set up to view previous versions. Check this link.

#3 TheSpartan

TheSpartan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:26 AM

In my desperation, I did research about the version history, but for whatever reason, the version history only dates back to when the file was corrupted, not a clean version.  Thank you for responding, though! 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,036 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:09 AM

I am not sure how well this will work with a password protected file but change the extenstion to ZIP and then open with a file archiver. The new excel format is actually a zip file. Hopefully it will open. See this video.

Edit: Once the password is stripped, it may let the repair applications you have tried now work.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 March 2015 - 08:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users