Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scary Old Me

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 njoy2

njoy2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

I'm old (70 and slipping into mild dementia, I think) and never very techy so when this link popped up in response to my Google Search for "best computer for old people",  I signed up. 

I currently have a Mac Air and am fairly happy with that. Before I started with Mac I drove my son over the edge with problems. Thank God for Mac! I'll definitely consider an IPad next although as a decent touch typist I'll need a real keyboard and as a person who has had surgery on both eyes,  the big one. I have a Kindle ppwhite that I love except some books are not exactly optimal and make me wish for the good old days of paper books (and being able to see). I have an old Blackberry Playbook, too, and like watching youtubes on that but not much good for anything else.

The biggest problem for us old folks is the way websites constantly "improve" themselves. An example is the  current updates to Google Docs. Today a new system took over and I have NO idea how to save new stuff to my files. No doubt the new way is "easier", lol.

Dropbox is another rabid updater. My computer now indicates a dozen copies of most files and I have NO idea where they come from. Dragging them to trash doesn't work. I'd ditch Dropbox in a heart beat, if I could.  Probably will, one of these days, and dang the consequences.

I wish I could find a computer web site just for people with one foot on a banana peel but who would answer the questions, eh? I'm far from the worst old person out there--in fact, "guru" to quite a few who can't  "cut and paste" or even find the on button on a new gadget. I've been active with computers since 1992 and so usually can, but not always. My son is in hiding so I do most of my own fixing of new problems by consulting sites like this one. Or I just live with them.

So, I'm glad to be here. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users