I'm considering to buy a new laptop. I will appreciate your suggestions!
My budget for the new computer is:
- Up to $900
What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?:
- Generating drawings (2-D electrical) in MS-Visio, spreadsheets & word documents, viewing pdf's of vendor catalogs & instruction manuals. plus the usual e-mail, calendars, web-browsing, music streaming (Tunein Radio).
What software do you intend on using on the computer?:
- Windows 8.1, MS-Office (probably professional edition), MS-Visio (possibly switching to ACAD Lite), Adobe Pro, Kaspersky Total Security, PLC programming software
Do you play games? If so, what type of games?:
- No, none at all.
Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?:
- I tend to have Outlook, Excel ( a couple sheets open), Visio, Adobe, and Windows Explorer, all while listening to music (from Tunein).
Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?:
- I anticipate approximately 80-100 per month. 1000-1200 per year.
Will you be overclocking?:
- No, not that I anticipate.
Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?:
- No preference. Probably online purchase via Tiger Direct, Amazon or similar
How many monitors are you planning to use?:
- 2 in the office for sure ( a necessity). 3 if I can swing it. Would I need a system with dedicated graphics to run 2 or more monitors?
Do you need peripherals? OS?:
- OS: Windows 8.1
- Docking station for the 2-3 monitors, standard keyboard & mouse, external HD (500 MB or greater)
Any particular reason why you are upgrading?:
I presently have Dell 660 Inspiron desktop. It has a Core i5-3340 @ 3.1 GHz, 8 MB of RAM, 1 TB hard drive and a AMD Radeon HD 6450 running graphics. I'm running 2 monitors. I travel about once/month for a few days each time. The first trips I did not take a computer with me. The last trip I needed one, so I took the whole system with me. I've even took it home a couple times to do work over the weekend without coming back to the office. What a logistical pain!
At my previous employer, I had a Dell 630, docking station, 2 monitors, that seemed to work well, although it had hiccups every now and then.
In my non-work life, I've had ASUS products and liked them a lot. Friends of mine also have ASUS and like the products as well. I understand Lenovo is quite good but the whole Superfish issue puts me off a bit.
I've had my eye on the ASUS Flip 2-in-1 Convertible TP500LA-DS71T 15.6-Inch Laptop in that it can function as a tablet. I see this feature allowing me to take the machine down to production and make changes to my working drawings right on the shop floor while being able to show the electrician and others the change.
Another ASUS product is the X550JK DH71. It is an i7 machine, with 1 TB of HD, 8 MB of RAM, with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M graphics card. I kind of like this machine, too.
What do you recommend, think of the mentioned machines, or am I asking too much for that price range?
Thanks in advance for considering my questions and concerns.
I look forward to your thoughts.