Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont start after slight OC

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ndr29

ndr29

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:47 AM

Hello,

After using the BIOS OC tool to select an "optimized OC setting" my computer has completely died.

Set the CPU optimize setting to 4.0ghz without touching the voltage and the computer will not boot now. Completely dead.

Tried resetting the CMOS jumper, pulled the battery and literally re-seated everything. Also tried the paperclip trick to jump start the PSU with no luck. Initially I saw a small green LED on the video card but nothing as of late.

anything that I can try??

asrock fatality z97

gtx760

8gb ddr3 1600

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

I'm thinking it's a PSU problem.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2015 - 01:13 PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

Did you use the reset cmos jumper with the battery installed?

When you remove the button cell battery to reset a cmos, the power cord must be unplugged or it may not reset. I generally do it in this order: unplug the computer, press the power button a few times to drain residual current in any capacitors, then unplug the cmos button battery for at least 10 seconds. Then put it all back in and try to power on. If you didn't try those steps, try again just in case.

I will side with Louis on the PSU as a possible problem if nothing happened when you tried the psu paperclip jumper method. Did any fans come on or did anything happen when doing this?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 ndr29

ndr29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

I do as well. I tested the PSU via the paperclip test and it was completely dead. Went ahead and ordered a modular 650w corsair. Fingers crossed.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:45 PM

Corsair is a great brand. It is pretty rare that I see issues with their PSU's.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 ndr29

ndr29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

Yes - I had everything unplugged. Even left the cmos clear jumper in place for about 10 minutes. No luck though. When testing the PSU there were no signs of life. Can't imagine the CPU is dead considering the OC speeds that chip is capable of. 

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:10 PM

Yes - I had everything unplugged. Even left the cmos clear jumper in place for about 10 minutes. No luck though. When testing the PSU there were no signs of life. Can't imagine the CPU is dead considering the OC speeds that chip is capable of. 

I agree, if the software didn't go crazy on the voltage to get to 4ghz, it shouldn't have damaged the cpu.

#8 ndr29

ndr29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:46 PM

New psu is in but the system won't boot. My keyboard lights up. Any thoughts?

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:04 AM

Here are my general diagnostic suggestions:

Make sure you have the computer unplugged from power while removing or moving any hardware...

Try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot at a time (remove all other ram sticks). Move it to the next slot until you have tried that stick in all slots by itself. If you still have no post, try a different stick of ram in each slot by itself. If you have issues with the stick in 1 particular slot (a no post for example) the slot may be bad. It is also possible you have a bad stick of ram instead of the slot being bad, in this case the ram stick should cause the same problem all slots.

You may have a memory controller issue in which case if you have 4 slots, 2 may not work. With intel it should be 2 slots next to each other channel 1 might be slot 0,1 and channel 2 might be 2,3. Trying with 1 stick at a time in all 4 slots is the best way to test everything.

If you never get a stable system with just 1 stick of ram in 1 slot (trying all sticks by themselves) try removing all non-essential hardware to get into bios:

Disconnect pci cards, pci-e cards - except a video card unless you have onboard in which case use the onboard video and pull the video card, hard drives, dvd drives, disconnect all usb headers as well. You should only have the power supply, main board, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the cpu and cpu cooler connected. You can also plug in a monitor and keyboard. Now try to power on the machine. If at this point you have no post screen or video etc, unplug the computer and pull the stick of ram, power back on and listen for a post fault beep code, you will need to hook up a motherboard speaker to hear any post fault code, if this is a laptop it should be built in.

If you get no response next: remove all of the components from the computer case and connect only essential hardware (cpu, motherboard, 1 stick of ram, power supply 24pin and 4pin connectors) outside of the case, place the motherboard on a non-conductive surface, a wooden table will do fine. Then try to power on again, you can short the power button pins on the motherboard, don't worry this is exactly what the power button does. Just touch a metal item to both power button pins to try to power the mainboard when outside of the computer case.

#10 ndr29

ndr29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:46 PM

Hi guys,

thank for the help. It was indeed the PSU but after installing the new one I installed the front panel connection the wrong way. All good now. :)

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

Glad to hear you are up and running. Happy Computing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users