Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Router Acting Weird

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 purple frog

purple frog

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:41 PM

about two months ago, i bought an airlink 101 G+ wireless router, and also the pci card by the same name. the router is in the other room on another computer connected thru LAN, and sometimes that computer gets bogged down, so they just unplug the router and plug the comp directly into the dsl modem. that hasnt been a probelm until today, i went and plugged it back in, but then when i chose to renew my ip address like i always do after i replug the router, it wouldnt let me acquire the network address on my computer. i am able to get onto my neighbors wireless router with no problem at all. the other computer can access teh router via the LAN no problem. how do i get my omputer to be able to access my router again? and how do i prevent this in the future?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:01 AM

i dont like the airlink utility, i find it clumsy, if you had win xp sp2 on your computer, i would suggest you use the wireless configuration utility built in instead of the utility with airlink. make your ip informaion static on both machines. and check out the following url for a firmware update, this fixes a lot of airlink isues.

http://www.airlink101.com/downloads/index.html

need more specifics, post back please
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:21 PM

im a real novice when it comes to networking, how would i change the ip to static? also, i tried to update the firmware, but it told me that was teh wrong firm ware to upgrade. i think i have the wrong model type. i thought i had the ar420w bc that is the one that is pictured. what else would you like to know as far as specifics go.

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:03 AM

for a static ip (xp sp2)...start>control panel>network connections>right click on the wireless connection>select properties>under general tab>scroll down and highlight "internet protocol (tcp/ip)">select properties>now you have the general ip information page which you need to select "use the following ip address"....ok here is where you need to tell it what range to use. you should know the range of your router. so, now...start>run >type in "cmd">hit enter>in the new "dos" box that opens up, type in "ipconfig" hit enter. this will dislay your current ip information for your wireless and other devices. basically, you need to enter this information on the other page. you need to know..ip address ex:192.168.1.100 and subnet mask ex:255.255.255.0 and gateway ex:192.168.1.1..your info may be different btw. so back to the network specification page..
enter your ip information that you got from ipconfig to the network properties page. the last part on the bottom, where it asks you about dns servers, put the address of the gateway in it..ex: your gateway is 192.168.1.1, then make your dns server 192.168.1.1 as well. select ok, then you now have a specified ip address! yay.

now your firmware. airlink is a pain in the butt to get stuff for online, they dont mark all their products clearly with a model number. bt, just log into the router if there is nothing marked underneath it, and look for the model number on the configuration pages, it may be in the status or administration page.

let us know how you make out!

#5 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:26 PM

all the upgrades r done, and both comps have static ips now. my parents are saying that the load times are slower when they are connected to the router compared to directly to the dsl modem. is there any way of speeding this speed up?

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 07:00 AM

well, yes there is. ok log into he router again, go to the status page, this should tell y ou the routers ip configuration. you should see ip, subnet mask, look for dns servers, copy down the up address of the two dns servers then exit the router configuration..
now go back to >>>

for a static ip (xp sp2)...start>control panel>network connections>right click on the wireless connection>select properties>under general tab>scroll down and highlight "internet protocol (tcp/ip)">select properties>now you have the general ip information page which you need to select "use the following ip address"....

now instead of using your router's ip address for the dns server, from ex:192.168.1.1, use the two dns ip addresses from the router you just copied down.

let us know how you made out
dave

#7 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:58 AM

i changed the numbers, ill post back in a couple of days after i see how they respond. r the two dns numbers on the router page supposed to be the same number?

#8 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 06:47 PM

it shouldnt be, but it could be. usually your isp will provide multiple dns redirectors. but 1 will do

#9 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:20 PM

ok, update. since changing teh coumputer IPs to static, my comp(on a wireless super G connection) has been disconnecting on its own and i have to have the xp wireless client repiar the connection to get back on the network. the computer on the lan, has been doing almost the same thing. do i need to change the routers mode from automatic DHCP to static IP? if yes, what numbers should i put in for the routers info? thanks for all youe help.

purple frog

#10 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 05:43 PM

no, you dont, usually the dhcp range will give addresses from 192.168.x.100 and up, so when making a static ip, usually you go below 192.168.x.99. consider trying a new router, if both your ips are static, and you keep dropping your connection wired and wirelessly, it may be bad after a firmware update. they also have IC's and capacitors which are suceptable to damage after time.
if after you try anothger router the problem persists, it is an issue within your lan, and you can bring the router back to the store.
you may be looking at bad hardware.

#11 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 05:53 PM

ok, thanks for the help. i think we are just going to go out and get a netgear router. this is the one that many people have been reccomending to me.

#12 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:10 PM

well you used a few methods to troubleshoot, it sounds very much like it. good stuff. one suggestion if i may. for just a few more dollars, why dont you consider a linksys WRT54G or a D-Link router. they are more reliable, have bigger and more solid buffer chips in them, good history and good firmware updates. happy routing!
dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users