Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluetooth/wireless radiation? Possible dangers? Any thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:01 AM

Not sure whether this is posted in the correct forum, so if any Site staff member moves this topic, I won't be suprised/offended in the least!

I have recently been developing concerns about the radiation emitted from all lap top computers as well as home-hubs and wireless devices....especially as I am SURE I can feel a very slight tingling feeling in my hand when operating my bluetooth (cable-free) mouse for extended periods of time.

Just wondered if anyone else has similar concerns or experiences of such things and if so, is there any measures you have taken to try to reduce exposure to the very high frequency (potentially DNA-damaging) radiation which is being constantly emitted, albeit at power-levels that are not (mostly) considered dangerous - at least in the short-term?

Edited by robby501, 09 March 2015 - 09:03 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

Many people believe that radiation from cell phones or electronics is dangerous. To my knowledge no "official" medical study has been able to firmly verify this claim. There is a very big difference between ionizing radiation and non ionizing radiation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-ionizing_radiation

If you read that article there is mention of possible danger: Recently, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) from the WHO (World Health Organization) released a statement indicating that radiofrequency electromagnetic fields (including microwave and millimeter waves) are possibly carcinogenic to humans.[3]

IMO it would be highly unlikely for any consumer based device to cause any harm due to the low power of most devices. The only exception might be a microwave oven. Generally these are shielded, meaning unless you can get your arm inside of the microwave and turn it on, you should be safe.

Edited by zingo156, 09 March 2015 - 09:56 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:35 AM

For the hand tingling part: it might just be an issue with the length of time and or the surface you use the mouse on or the shape of the mouse etc. At work my hand always tingles after a few hours of computer use. My hand rests on a hard desk at work. At home I have a soft gel wrist rest style mousepad which really seems to help. If I use a trackball style mouse (thumb moves the cursor) that also seems to help mitigate tingling and soreness for long term use. 

Edited by zingo156, 09 March 2015 - 09:35 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:41 AM

Zingo, thanks for your interest in my topic and taking the time to respond. Obviously I hope others will share their thoughts too. I seem to remember reading about a study about house-plants dying when left near hub transmitters/receivers, but we all know there are other reasons too for plants to die. lol

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

#5 baffled251

baffled251

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:46 AM

Robby, I don't have an answer but the industry is certainly not going to provide one, because.... well, money, profits, obviously. I think the best we can hope for at this point is to convince them to produce lower emission devices. This is one reason I like android. Samsun mobiles have pretty low emissions, iphones much higher emission. As far as blue tooth, I avoid that headgear for precisely this reason. I do not think you should have this right next to your brain. :nono: In this case, better safe than sorry, IMHO.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:46 AM

It is an interesting topic. It is tough to say with any certainty if RF signals cause issues or not. I will say the vast majority of studies I have read indicate no notable increase in damage or cancer due to RF devices. This is a decent website to do some research: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/radiationexposureandcancer/index

Edited by zingo156, 09 March 2015 - 09:47 AM.

#7 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:07 AM

Anyway, I guess it's utterly impossible to avoid ALL man-made RF....unless of course we build ourselves lead-lined bunkers in our back yards! After all, 11Ghz satellite TV signals are raining down on us pretty much all the time! 

I think the crux of the issue is the power/proximity issue. Is there greater potential for cellular damage when holding a low-powered mouse operating at a Ghz frequency(s) or the obviously MUCH higher-powered Ghz signals transmitted from an Earth-orbitting satellite several thousand miles away? There are obviously many other sources of man-made RF, too many to list here, but I am just using the above comparison as an example.

It makes for an interesting debate for those concerned/interested in such a topic, but I am sure many won't be interested in it whatsoever! 

Thanks for the link....I'll look at that at my earliest convenience!

Edited by robby501, 09 March 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:10 AM

Definitely impossible to avoid, there are countless cell towers around as well as satelites etc. You could build a Faraday cage around your entire house, you just won't get any cell service inside anymore.

#9 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:23 AM

Definitely impossible to avoid, there are countless cell towers around as well as satelites etc. You could build a Faraday cage around your entire house, you just won't get any cell service inside anymore.

Yeah, you are right.......Here in the UK, virtually all new buildings are being wall-insulated with a material called Celotex which has a metal-foil coating on it. Especially in work places, folk are starting to realize that cellphone signals are being significantly compromised, and I guess this means that it is feasible to assume that in certain instances, business deals (where time is money) might be disrupted to the point where money could be lost! Makes me wonder how we ever managed in the days when it was mostly cable-only comms! lol

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:27 AM

I wonder if they do that intentionally to block RF waves, I would doubt that would be for safety more likely to prevent people from using facebook on their personal device all day. That would force people to have to use cable based phones etc.

Edited by zingo156, 09 March 2015 - 10:29 AM.

#11 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:45 AM

Yep. 

I think the real 'grey' area lies (with regards the potential adverse effects of man-made radiation) in the fact that it has the potential to ALTER DNA. Whilst this may/may not have any implications on our own lives, it is feasible that it might have implications for future generations as DNA is altered over-and-over as humans reproduce and therefore pass any such genetic mutations on to their succeeding siblings.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the physical attributes of mankind go on to be irreversibly altered by this over many generations in future, and it also wouldn't surprise if studies HAVE already been done to verify this theory, albeit the results not released to the public for fear of causing an uproar about the whole issue! I mean, can you imagine the level of global disruption and panic that would ensue, especially in the Western World, if everyone was forced to go back (for health reasons) to cable-only comms in place of all these hyper-convenient high-frequency devices that we all seem to be so reliant on these days in the running of our day-to-day lives??!

Edited by robby501, 09 March 2015 - 10:45 AM.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

I can not imagine going back to a cable only type infrastructure.

#13 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:53 PM

Robby:  My real concern is with all the devices emmitting RF energy in the Gigacycle ranges.  This is the same as an oven and sufficient shielding prevents any escape of damaging radiation.  I do think that placing any microwave emitting device within close (one inch) proximity of my brain.  The same thing has been happening to women who put their cell phones in their bra or a man to keeps it in his pants pocket.  Cancers aren't tracked to the emissions from one single device and thus have only appeared where multiple devices with interactions that can't be tracked or evaluated.  Like the airlines wanting your phones turned off during critical evolutions, it's not the devices themselves but the interactions by multiple devices and of questionable tolerance after being dropped or who knows what.  It's that unpredicable interaction that is causing the concern.   Most home devices that emit RF for communications do so at a very reduced power level, less than on tenth of a watt and cell phones even less than that. 

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:12 AM

My question is still: can RF damage dna? So far I am waiting for multiple studies to prove one way or another. There are a few studies that I know of which show cell phone RF does damage dna but others point to different conclusions:

http://www.rfsafe.com/dna-damage-from-cell-phone-radiation-exposure/

(Same study same site but with video) http://www.rfsafe.com/fact-dna-damage-safe-cell-phone-radiation-levels/

I am still looking for more studies and welcome them. Then the next question is: does that dna damage result in cancer in a similar manor to the damage done by ionizing radiation such as Gamma radiation? One certainly has the ability to do more damage than the other IMO.

Edited by zingo156, 10 March 2015 - 08:22 AM.

#15 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:47 AM

The biggest difference in the two, ionizing radiation (gamma rays) and electromagnetic waves (rf) are different in that ionizing radiation severs the DNA string and the mutations result from that sunsequent replication.  Electromagnetic waves cause atoms to oscilate and some run into others and breakage of the DNA string does result but only under extreme fields that result in more serious damage from burning internally, like a microwave oven.  Gamma rays are all around us, passing through us every second.  Other sources are under extreme controls to prevent inadvertant exposures.  Serious opponents  can be noted by the tin foil hats they wear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users