Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 1068: The dependency service...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 amzaik10

amzaik10

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

Greetings: I re-installed a printer (Dell 1210 All in One) on an old DELL pc, Windows XP, and cannot get it to install/print. It previously worked with this PC, but it reinstalled itself every time I booted the computer. (When paired with my acer laptop using Windows 7, all functions, including printing, work.) It will copy and scan with the DELL pc. I received the above message: "Could not start the print spooler service on local computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start." I obviously do not know much about computers, but am trying to learn some things by working with/on this old pc. Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,395 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:25 AM

1) Did you install the printer driver and did it install correctly? If not, go to the Dell Website and download and install the correct driver.

2) Go to START - RUN and type services.msc (then press enter). Locate the Print Spooler service and double click on the entry. Click on the "dependencies" tab. Now locate the services listed in the dependencies tab and see if they are running. If not, try to start them (if they are set to "disabled" you should change the setting to "manual" or "automatic"). Now try to start the Print Spooler Service.

Please report back.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 70,887 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:05 PM

Hello, I believe you hit report and not reply and mis posed this

Thank you so much for your comments. The driver did install correctly. Following your guidance, I went to services. I went to the Print Spooler Service and 2x clicked it. The services listed there were the LexBce Server and Remote Procedure call. I then went back to services and found 2 RPCs. The status for both was "started." I then went to the LexBce Server. There was no listing at all in the status column. I tried to start it, and received the message: Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified. Thanks again.

What is the file that cannot be found?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 amzaik10

amzaik10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:18 PM

You are exactly right. I did hit "report" instead of "reply." Thank you so much for helping me out. I appreciate it! Also, I am retracing my steps to determine "what is the file that cannot be found."

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2015 - 10:32 AM.

#5 amzaik10

amzaik10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:28 PM

No file was listed in the error message. I wonder if it is referring to the "LexBce" service as the file that cannot be found?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,395 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:54 PM

Sounds as though the driver software was not properly installed. Lexmark printers do install their own service. I suggest uninstalling the printer software and then reinstalling it. Be sure to follow all instructions for the installation (ie, when is the proper time to connect the printer, etc).

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,843 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:33 PM

I would just like to add that a lexmark printer adds a dependency to the spooler service. Uninstalling the driver often leaves the dependency in place. Follow the steps here to remove the lexmark dependency.

You can also run a .bat file as administrator shown here . The bat files does what the Raymond link does plus delete all traces of the lexmark driver files. Do not do both. You can open the .bat file with notepad to see what commands it applies.

#8 amzaik10

amzaik10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for the information. I will work through these suggestions today. So far, I did go to the HP site and download and install their official driver for the HP 1200 Series PSC. I am proceeding from there. I had previously downloaded a driver from a different software provider. I welcome any comments. Thanks again!

#9 amzaik10

amzaik10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:14 AM

I would just like to add that a lexmark printer adds a dependency to the spooler service. Uninstalling the driver often leaves the dependency in place. Follow the steps here to remove the lexmark dependency.

You can also run a .bat file as administrator shown here . The bat files does what the Raymond link does plus delete all traces of the lexmark driver files. Do not do both. You can open the .bat file with notepad to see what commands it applies.

JohnC_21,

You hit the nail on the head. Once I removed the Lexmark dependency per the instructions in your post.... Shazam! Now the old All-in-One works like a charm again. Many thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users