Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dirty power supply unit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 summer_sun

summer_sun

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:08 AM

Hello,

I wanna ask you something about my power power supply unit: I noticed that sometimes the fan doesn't work anymore and I think it's because of the dust outside and inside the box. I opened it and cleaned it with a vaccum but I don't wanna do it anymore then I am looking for another way to keep it clean outside first. If you have any device, you will be welcomed :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 crashper

crashper

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:48 AM

If there is lot of dust accumulation on your rig then you'll have to clean it using compressed air but opening the PSU and cleaning it isn't a good option considering you'll have to make sure you have drained all the remaining power .I shocked myself on a capacitor once (not one from a power supply, but it was similar in size). It didn't even hurt all that much, but I wouldn't want to do it again. Instead of waiting for all that dust to accumulate and heat up your rig you should prevent all that dust build up. 

I keep a small room air purifier running next to my rig. It traps all the ultra fine dust particles before it enters my PC. Also there is the added advantage of having better indoor air quality.The model I use is Clair TD 1866 ( http://go-clair.com/).This air purifier is compact and reasonably priced. It has a patented e2f filter which has hassle free maintenance and lasts for more than a year even if you operate it like 24/7.I suggest you try this option. It saved me the hassle of cleaning my PC every other month.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:47 AM

I noticed that sometimes the fan doesn't work anymore

Do you know for sure that the fan is now working after cleaning? I have had PS fans fail, but not from dirt; the cheaper types use only sleeve bearings and they go dry, so the fan fails. Then the PS overheats and burns out some components causing a major short, smoke, sometimes sparks and can damage other components in the computer. Keep an eye on it.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 summer_sun

summer_sun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:54 PM

I noticed that sometimes the fan doesn't work anymore

Do you know for sure that the fan is now working after cleaning? I have had PS fans fail, but not from dirt; the cheaper types use only sleeve bearings and they go dry, so the fan fails. Then the PS overheats and burns out some components causing a major short, smoke, sometimes sparks and can damage other components in the computer. Keep an eye on it.

Yes the fan is working when I clean it up and that's why I think it's because of dust inside. I bought a 750W PSU and I don't wanna lose it. Now I'm always obsessed by dust then I look at the back of my computer.
I think 'crashper' found a good way to keep away the dust from my tower, I'm gonna use her tip right away :)

#5 summer_sun

summer_sun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:19 PM

If there is lot of dust accumulation on your rig then you'll have to clean it using compressed air but opening the PSU and cleaning it isn't a good option considering you'll have to make sure you have drained all the remaining power .I shocked myself on a capacitor once (not one from a power supply, but it was similar in size). It didn't even hurt all that much, but I wouldn't want to do it again. Instead of waiting for all that dust to accumulate and heat up your rig you should prevent all that dust build up. 

I keep a small room air purifier running next to my rig. It traps all the ultra fine dust particles before it enters my PC. Also there is the added advantage of having better indoor air quality.The model I use is Clair TD 1866 ( http://go-clair.com/).This air purifier is compact and reasonably priced. It has a patented e2f filter which has hassle free maintenance and lasts for more than a year even if you operate it like 24/7.I suggest you try this option. It saved me the hassle of cleaning my PC every other month.

Hello crashper!
I bought a Clair air purifier but not the same you got, mine is the BF2025 which is really prettier and a little bit cheaper and it really works! You were right, I don't need to clean my PSU fan anymore :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users