Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something points to an uninstalled program and I get an error message.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:53 AM

I downloaded Driver Detective to my laptop, used it to find drivers, then uninstalled it when I was done.

Now, when I restart the laptop, I get an error message that says Driver Detective is not working, file not found.

It appears that there is a remnant of the program still on the computer that is pointing to a file that no longer exists.

I can't find the remnant.

Is there a program that finds those things?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:36 AM

Hi heavydude :)

You should never use "driver updater" programs, as they are dangerous programs that can damage your system, making it unable to boot.
  • Drivers are "middlemen" between your OS (Windows) and your hardware (computer). They control and facilitate the interaction between Windows and hardware components, to deliver a "message", nothing more;
  • Having all of your drivers up to date, all the time, will not improve the performance of your system, nor your computer. You cannot increase the hardware performance of a component over the current capabilities it have;
  • Driver updates are released to fix a bug or an issue with a previous release of that driver. Not everyone with the same drivers will experience the issue, so if you are having no problems with the drivers you are running, you don't need to update them. "If it's not broken, don't fix it";
  • You can download drivers for free from your computer/laptop manufacturers website, or from the hardware component manufacturers website. You don't need to pay for any of them, if you are being asked to pay for drivers it is likely a scam;
  • Only drivers from the computer/laptop manufacturers website, or the hardware component manufacturers website are considered official (legitimate and working). You should not download drivers from anywhere else;
  • Driver Updaters are a scam, they try to convince you that you need these programs in order to make your system perform well, which is false;
  • It has been tested and proven that these programs will detect outdated drivers on a system that have the most updated drivers from the manufacturer, which shows that they don't work and/or they try to make you install "newer" suspicious drivers;
  • The goal of the distributors of such programs is to make money by making you buy their useless product, or install additional software (PUPs) when you install their program. Your system will perform worse with these programs installed than without;
Now as for the "leftover" start-up entry, we can find it using Autoruns.

sUc2qjf.pngAutoruns - Start-up Entries
Follow the instructions below to give me an Autoruns log containing your start-up entries:
  • Download Autoruns.zip from the Sysinternals Suite webpage;
  • Extract the content of the Autoruns.zip folder where you want, then go in the folder, right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • Accept the EULA on opening, then wait for all the entries to load;
  • Click on File then Save and save the file to a location easily accessible;
  • Go on ge.tt and upload the Autoruns file you saved;
  • Once done, post the download URL of your uploaded file in your next reply;

Edited by Aura., 09 March 2015 - 05:36 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

http://ge.tt/5TEEBvB2/v/0

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

Alright, open Autoruns with Admin Rights and under the Scheduled Task tab, there's 5 entries for Driver Detective. Right-click on each of them and select Delete. Once done, restart your computer and tell me if you still have the error message for it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:19 AM

I deleted those entries and the error message did not return.

That autoruns program is great. I ran it on my desktop. Saw a couple of unfamiliar items. Nothing harmful I don't think. I'll research them later.

Just one question. Why are some items highlighted in different colors and do the colors have any significance?

Thanks.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:14 AM

That's good to know :) Entries in yellow means that the file it's pointing at cannot be found ("File missing"), while entries in red (or pink) means that the file it points at isn't digitally signed. Autoruns is a maintenance tool made for advanced users, so I suggest you to not delete anything on your own. If you want, let me know which entries you find suspicious and I can help you look into them to see if they are needed or not :)

unite_blue.png

#7 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:56 PM

OK.

Thanks

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:26 PM

No problem heavydude, anytime :)

unite_blue.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,608 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

AutoRuns is a tool for advanced users since it does not have the ability to recognize unsafe or dangerous items...it only displays what it finds. You should not uncheck anything without investigating first.

If you're going to use Autoruns, be careful using it and be sure to read the following before doing anything on your own:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •