Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failing hard drive or trojan?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AnthonyY

AnthonyY

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:36 PM

Occasionally, my computer would have a program that stops responding, then, when I try to open task manager or cmd, nothing would happen, pressing ctrl alt delete and ctrl shift esc does nothing. Meanwhile, all other programs running such as chrome would respond and have no problems, and I can open file explorer and other programs. Then, after a while, the computer would go straight to a black screen, with only the cursor, and the only way to turn the computer off is to press and hold the power button.

I have not paid much attention to the problem, until just now when it happened again. This time, when I reboot, the bios boots and shows windows starting up, but it remains as a black screen for a long period of time, it happened a few times until I decided to take out the battery and press the power button for 20 secs. This time, windows shows that it did not load properly, but I can then use advanced options to boot to safe mode.

The computer had a few Kernal Data In Page Error blue screens before, which is sporadic and occurs around once every 2 months. I have ran full disk checks and memtests at start up that came back clean. crystaldisk info says that the disk is healthy as well

I have done scans with AVG, MBAM, Adwcleaner, TDSSKiller, FRST, and other things before, but they never showed any infections.

It seems like a hard drive error, but I am suspicious as to why task manager and cmd does not open, while other programs can, and how they respond normally. Also, the fact that instead of having a blue screen, the computer simply goes to a black screen while the cursor still responds.

Is this just a case of the hard drive failing slowly (it has been bumped and dropped slightly before), or is it some sort of remote access trojan causing problems?

EDIT: After running Mbam and SFC in safe mode, I tried to reboot the computer normally. It would load the bios, then prresumably windows starts (samsung screen spinning wheel), but then it wont go on to the login screen. It just stays as a black screen with no cursor. Tried running start up repair but it cannot fix the problem, but somehow safe mode works fine, any idea how to fix this? (running system restore now, will try refresh afterwards)

EDIT 2: Did a system restore, and now windows boot normally, however, it takes really long to get to the login screen, then after log in, it goes to a black screen, and explorer.exe takes about 2 mins to fully start up. Mbam started with malicious protection, but malicious website protection is off; while AVG started with firewall off, still cant get into task manager (trojan/rootkit?!)

EDIT 3: Running in safe mode again, MBAM cant run a scan because "integrity verification error". Still not sure if its a trojan or just a disk corruption, running a full chkdsk /f /r /b

Edited by AnthonyY, 08 March 2015 - 08:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 March 2015 - 12:50 PM.

#3 AnthonyY

AnthonyY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

After a full disk check, and SFC scan, everything seems fine now. Reinstalled MBAM since it probably get corrupted, AVG working fine now. Probably just a failing hard drive, since a trojan attack that happens occasionally every few months seem unlikely  :smash:

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:51 AM

Can you post the MiniToolbox log and Speccy snapshot per hamluis' request, just to be sure?

If it's a failing hard drive then we can run further tests to confirm it.

Regards,
Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users