Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Monitor Not Showing Anything

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kingdomspider

kingdomspider

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:00 PM

Hello all, I have a Gateway computer running Windows 7, I believe it's 64-bit. 6GB of RAM, 1TB HDD.

The problem I'm having started today, and it was working earlier today. A few weeks ago, I had to have my computer repaired, and afterwards, it worked fine. The computer itself is about 3, maybe 3 and a half years old. The monitor is older, maybe 7+ years.

When I turn on my computer, I hear it running, the fan is turning properly, and everything else seems to be working properly, but the monitor does not show anything.

The monitor's orange light (indicating it is in sleep mode) stays on, and never turns green (awake). If I turn the monitor off and then back on, it turns green for a moment, and shows a "No signal" message, before going back to the orange light. I will also make note that the keyboard light does not turn on at any point, and normally it would.

I have already tried the following toubleshooting steps, and nothing has made any difference whatsoever:

•Check all cables and made sure they are secure in place.

•Connected a different monitor to the computer to see if the monitor was broken (the other monitor did the same thing, "No signal" message an eevrything.) This other monitor works properly on a different computer in the house.

•Tried changing the settings on the monitor itself (it won't let me change any settings)

•Tried restarting the computer (several times)

•Tried a different VGA cable.

•Tried removing, cleaning, and re-inserting the RAM cards.

•Tried removing, cleaning and re-inserting the PCI card.

Other info:

•Externally, we have been having some problems with appliances, especially lights losing power (not completely, just fading in and out), but everything else seems to at least turn on and work properly (TV's, lamps, another computer in the house, etc.)

•We recently had AT&T (our ISP) come out and replace our modem and DVR boxes to their more up to date models. Before this, with the other problem (with the lights and appliances) would cause my computer to restart itself automatically and the Internet Modem would reset at the same time (I believe one was causing the other to happen). This would happen randomly every day, often multiple times a day.

•The power strip that the computer is plugged into is brand new (replaced recently).

Please help! I need my computer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 952 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

Well definitly sounds like a PC issue , if the Keyboard doesnt light up then the drivers are not loading.

Do you have a GPU Video Card or Onboard Video.

Does the Motherboard have a onboard port for the Video Cable if so try that setup also.

If you have the Knowledge ? open the case and remove the Video Card and Reseat it , and try again.

Do you get to see the Bios at boot at any stage ? 

Also check all Cabling within case , remove and reconnect them.

Keep us posted with any results.

#3 kingdomspider

kingdomspider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:41 PM

Well definitly sounds like a PC issue , if the Keyboard doesnt light up then the drivers are not loading.

Do you have a GPU Video Card or Onboard Video.

Does the Motherboard have a onboard port for the Video Cable if so try that setup also.

If you have the Knowledge ? open the case and remove the Video Card and Reseat it , and try again.

Do you get to see the Bios at boot at any stage ? 

Also check all Cabling within case , remove and reconnect them.

Keep us posted with any results.

I don't know if it's a GPU Video Card or Onboard Video (how do I find out?)

How do I reseat the video card?

Update: It came on by itself, and it started normally (the monitor came up and showed my desktop and everything.) I immediately shut it down (properly), and I haven't turned it back on since. I believe whatever is causing this problem and the other problems mentioned has to do with the wiring/electricity in the house in general, and is not a problem with my PC. Now, I could be wrong, but I don't think any course of action will really solve the problem or determine the problem until that is fixed.

Edited by kingdomspider, 08 March 2015 - 07:06 PM.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 952 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:15 PM

Ok - i would get the Power issue fixed first or checked at least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users