Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 11.6 3750 memory upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 co1jaymz87

co1jaymz87

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:04 PM

I am interested in upgrading my laptop from the stock 4gb memory to 8gb or maybe 12gb... I've looked at the chips, and it appears I can get the same type in a higher gb, but just want to make sure it will work! I'm a noob at computer upgrading.

I use my laptop for music production and performance, and want a smoother, faster response with my gear. If anyone has suggestions, or comments, please throw them my way! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:01 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!!

I can't quite get a google response for the laptop model you listed......a few questions ..what is your Windows Version and CPU?

you can get Speccy from the download section here, it will tell you all about the RAM you have now and what will work for you. If you want, we can have a looksy at your speccy report and ponder the topic more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

also, Crucial is THE trusted site to find RAM that is suited to your PC..

http://www.crucial.com/

Edited by synergy513, 09 March 2015 - 03:04 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 co1jaymz87

co1jaymz87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the reply! Here's some specs...

Dell Inspiron 11.6-Inch 2 in 1 Convertible Touchscreen Laptop, i3147-3750sLV

• Intel Pentium N3530 Processor
  • 4 GB DDR3L SDRAM
  • 500 GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
  • 11.6-Inch Screen, Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 8.1, 7.5-hour battery life

I was having trouble finding info... of course, the manufacturer says it's not supposed to exceed 4gb RAM, but I read some reviews and people said it worked, you just needed 1.35v DDR3L laptop/notebook RAM. Just wanted to get an opinion before i buy it and crack open my baby!

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:08 PM

ok, that is the bits i needed, i looked it up, and that model is 4gb max, intel lists that cpu as supporting 8gb RAM, but dell says NAY and i would vote  the OEM ( Dell) over-rides the cpu manufacturer .

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19620197

that is peculiar cpu, 4 cores yet, 2mb cache. almost like a celeron, i would think.  Ironically, cpu cache is designed to prevent extraneous RAM accessing, kind of like RAM is to prevent extraneous hard drive accesssing. kind of like a tier setup, cpu cache being the fastest, then RAM, then hard drive.

http://ark.intel.com/products/81074/Intel-Pentium-Processor-N3530-2M-Cache-up-to-2_58-GHz

anyway, anyone following this topic may offer hints to help keep your system nice and speedy for your applications.

Edited by synergy513, 09 March 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#5 co1jaymz87

co1jaymz87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:55 AM

cool... thanks for the info! basically, my problem is that when i'm running multiple dj controllers, my cpu usage meter spikes and it causes skips.... i DO have another laptop that would be easier to upgrade. i was also looking as installing an SSD on the dell... from what i've read, the memory upgrade might not be exactly what is needed. 

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:21 PM

there might be a possibility that your application isn't optimized for spreading out the process to all 4 cores. when you see your cpu usage, is it just one core that is spiking? i presume you are watchng the cpu usage in task manager?

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

Hello .. When watching your spikes do all 4 cores spike or just one?  Since you are running multiple iterations of the same program you may be able to get a performance boost by binding another process to a different core:

See here Binding affinity

#8 co1jaymz87

co1jaymz87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

thanks for extra advice! i did a run with the task manager open (ableton has a cpu meter, but it's not specific)... my hard drive load seemed to be split over the 4 processors equally (each seemed to be at about 45-60%), but my physical memory use was at like 95% (3800mb, with the system requiring 117mb for normal processes). i bought some upgrades last night... here's the plan i followed. i know it's not manufactured approved, but sounds like the system will handle it!

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3DT8YWDKM9LCV/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_1

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3KP9HIUOYUON7/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users