Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-virus customer support

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:32 PM

Somehow after I knew Emsisoft and Malwarebytes I find all other AV vendors' customer support lacking... but that's just me. :blink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:34 PM

That is because some of the employees involved with EAM and MBAM product development, research and technical support are well known security experts who have volunteered their personal time to assist victims of malware infection long before their program was created. They still stay personally involved with helping victims on Internet forum boards as well as provide individual support services to users of their products. This means they are personally tuned into the day to day analysis of active malware and any reported issues with their software so they are able to respond quickly to them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:35 PM

Well, other Antivirus companies also have good customer support, but I guess you're referring to the fact that both Emsisoft and Malwarebytes have forums that offers malware removal. avast! also have a forum that offers that and so does other Antivirus companies. But yes, if we talk on a side where how "involved" within the community Antivirus companies are, Emsisoft and Malwarebytes are the two most involved ones.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:39 PM

No...almost everyone vendor has a support forum so just because they do does not mean it is good support. It is the people behind the support that counts which makes EAM and MBAM stand above the rest.

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:41 PM

I am aware that Avast has a malware removal forum, but somehow it does not have the same feel as Emsisoft and Malwarebytes' respective forums do.

But we're getting sidetracked here. Let's get back on topic.

Alex

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:41 PM

Well I know some of the helpers on the avast! forums and I can tell you that they are quite good. I agree that having a support forum doesn't make an Antivirus have a good customer support but whenever I was working on my PLs to find information on certain entries, etc. avast! forums would always comeback at the top with BleepingComputer and GeeksToGo. Also, most of their helpers are also active helpers on BleepingComputer and/or GeeksToGo. I don't say that they are better than Emsisoft or Malwarebytes, don't get me wrong, but they are also doing it the right way :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:53 PM

I don't believe Alex was knocking avast support, just that EAM and MBAM is better.

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

I doubt with Avast you can get official staff to visit forums like Bleeping Computer and assist people like Emsisoft and Malwarebytes do, or just plain talking (not seeing any Avast reps here... or maybe I didn't check closely enough?).

When you are used to getting support in less than a day, others seem like snail mail in return :blink:

Edited by Alexstrasza, 08 March 2015 - 02:57 PM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:59 PM

My last post was to you quietman and I agree that Emsisoft and Malwarebytes have the best customer support there is, I was simply stating that avast! one is quite good as well. While there's others Antivirus companies which support is completely lacking. Was it you (or was it someone else, maybe on Malwaretips) who told me that when you call Norton to renew your product they try to push down in your throat to renew with a more costly product instead of the one you currently have? That for example is a bad customer support.

unite_blue.png

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:01 PM

If your last comment was to me, I wasn't knocking avast either. Like Alex I believe EAM and MBAM are much better.

#11 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:02 PM

Also I think they could be a little clearer during the whole Norton products breaking IE fiasco.

I've heard stories of other AV vendors' techies fixing their customers' machines as well... usually didn't work or they resort to other resources (which is more often than not BC or some other UNITE sites).

Alex

Alas, at this rate I'll never have the patience to fill out a form to wait for customer support again.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:07 PM

I heard that as well Alex. Wasn't there a guy that was sent here from Kaspersky Technical Support to get help with malware removal lately? I've read a thread about it somewhere. Personally I like Kaspersky's support, a friend of mine tweeted a picture of an issue he was having with the product and then they tweeted him back on their official account offering support through tweets :P

unite_blue.png

#13 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

If I remember correctly the guy was down in Introductions.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

Also, I think Kaspersky offers a tool that can be used by trained malware removal helpers here, I just can't recall the name. So they are involved in that whole "freeware malware removal tools" thing also :P

unite_blue.png

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:17 PM

It is called TDSSKiller.

Many vendors provide specialized removal tools to deal with various infections and have them available for download on their website.

Free Malware Removal Tools by Anti-virus vendors:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users