Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer not working after Adwcleaner

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nerdorama

nerdorama

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:04 PM

Hi,

I was having trouble with annoying malware, pop-ups, etc on my laptop which Malwarebytes Anti-malware wouldn't shift. I downloaded and ran AdwCleaner via CNET. This appeared to find and remove a number of unwanted programs. However, since then, I am unable to get Chrome or IE to work - there was clearly a wifi connection, but pages wouldn't load on either browser. I uninstalled Chrome, thinking i could re-install, but then realised i couldn't without a functionning browser.

I have seen a solution to this, but not one which is possible (as far as I can understand) using Windows 8.

Any advice??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:23 PM

Hi nerdorama :)

Let's try a little command here. Click on your Windows Start Menu and enter cmd, then right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator. From there, enter the following command:

netsh winsock reset

Once it's done, restart your computer and tell me if the webpages are loading.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:41 PM

Internet connectivity problems can occur for a variety of reasons to include corrupted networking software installation, third-party software inserting itself into the network adapter settings, misconfiguration or corruption issues with TCP/IP protocol stack and Winsock due to malformed LSP, deletion or incorrect removal of networking software and removal of a malware component which had inserted itself into the winsock. There are some common (but simple) solutions which can help resolve connectivity issues...just follow these instructions.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 nerdorama

nerdorama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:30 AM

Hi Aura,

Thanks for replying!

Using Windows 8, I don't get what you described, ie i don't the option to run as administrator. I tried Winkey&R and entered cmd there, clicked OK, which got me to the command prompt, but when I then entered your instruction I got the message "The requested operation requires elevation (Run as administrator)".

Apologies if how to get around this seems completely obvious!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:37 AM

Ah sorry I didn't notice that you were using Windows 8 :) Alright, press on the Win Key + S and enter cmd in the search box. Now the cmd icon should pop-out and right-clicking on it will provide the Run as Administrator option.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 nerdorama

nerdorama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:49 AM

YES!!!

IE now working fine!!

Thank you so much! My (autistic, Zelda/ Pokemon obsessed) son isn't the showing gratitude type, but I can tell you he will be over the moon - I am so relieved. How can I repay you?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:22 AM

...when I then entered your instruction I got the message "The requested operation requires elevation (Run as administrator)".

If you looked at the link I provided...there were explicit instructions with screeshots which directed you how to Run as Admin with an elevated command prompt.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 nerdorama

nerdorama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:28 AM

Ah, sorry quietman7, I missed that. Many thanks to you too.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:59 AM

No problem nerdorama :) There's no need to repay me anything, all the assistance I over on BleepingComputer is volunteer and free :wink:

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users