Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Keeps Getting Knocked Out

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:38 PM

hey guys,
everytime a phone call comes to the house my internet connection gets knocked out! So for example, ill be on AIM or browsing the web... a call will come in and then my connection dies! i also noticed that when i have the phone on and near the computer the connection stays "dead", but when someone else in the house is using it like downstairs or in the room where the phone's charger/base is the connection re connects itself after being knocked out. This has been happening for a few weeks now and its getting to be really annoying. im running windows ME and ive got a wireless card in my computer. the router is in the room next to me. the phone line isnt tied into the internet because we've got the comcast high speed cable or w/e.
thanks in advance

Edited by ihateadware52792, 29 June 2006 - 02:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:58 PM

how do i delete my thread?? i put it in the wrong section

Edited by ihateadware52792, 29 June 2006 - 08:56 PM.

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:22 PM

so, you have cbale internet, but you use the regilar phone? and when a call comes in you lose phone??
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

I think what he is suggesting is the possibility of his portable phone signal is possibly being picked up by his wireless card. I know comcast offers with one cable coming to the house--phone service, broadband internet service and cable tv. I am wondering if he has contacted Comcast and if so what they had to say.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:57 AM

wel, yes there are a lot of variables, for instance, a normal SOHO router may get interference from a 2.4ghz cordless phone. a microwave , stack of paper, ceramic or sat dishes. i was kinda wondering for more specifics like if he does use his cavle provider for telephone service as well.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:53 PM

no its the telephone interfearence, both the phone and the router are 2.4 GHz

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:50 PM

Ah Ha--Glad you figured it out. By the way, I borrowed your Yankee logo and I am sending it to some friends I stay in touch with in the Boston Area. I recently spent 5 chilly years on the South Shore. Thanks, I think it is hilarious.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users