Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Windows 10 technical preview stable?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Windows 10 technical preview stable? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Is windows 10 technical preview stable enough to use as a daily driver?

1. Yes (21 votes [61.76%])

Percentage of vote: 61.76%

2. No (13 votes [38.24%])

Percentage of vote: 38.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Deleted

Deleted

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

Do you guys think Windows 10 technical preview would be stable enough for me to use it as a daily driver?

Edited by Deleted, 08 March 2015 - 10:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

Hello there,

My personal opinion is no - I'll wait for release candidate at least, as a lot of software vendors won't be working on Windows 10 support until at least Release Candidate is achieved.

Alex

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

I use windows 10 as a daily driver on my desktop, but I am also a highly technical user and this is a clean install on a different hard drive from my other operating systems. It is fairly stable for me but I have had a few blue screens, mostly related to graphics and games.

With that said if you do choose to experiment with it, install it on a separate drive or partition that way your existing data is safe and you still have an OS that you can use as a backup if windows 10 fails. :)

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 rahulthepcl

rahulthepcl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:43 AM

Not completely, jist wait for the nxt vereion.

#5 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

Sorry, I've done a bit of research and found out I wasn't being very clear. What I mean is, is Windows 10 insider program slow channel stable enough for daily use? Please edit my post to include this mods.

Edited by Deleted, 14 March 2015 - 10:08 AM.

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

Even with it being a "slow" update cycle doesn't make it any more stable or any less prone to breaking, it is all new code and new code has bugs. That said they might catch a few bugs and issues before being let out on the slow channel but bugs will still get through.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 Velkro

Velkro

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:43 PM

I have Windows 10 installed on a secondary machine and use it daily. I'm happy with the stability of it so far, and I've only ran into a few issues. With that said, I think if you are asking about stability on a technical preview than the preview may not be for you. It's geared towards users who are willing to test out the new changes, troubleshoot problems, and offer feedback to Microsoft to help shape the final product. Like Alex said, waiting for the release candidate might be a better option for you.

#8 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:29 AM

Im currently on a newer build than 9926 im currently on 10036 but do not download it it is highly unstable

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#9 ubuntunix

ubuntunix

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:59 PM

Have it running in a VM and on an aged laptop. I really like some of the newer stuff under the hood.

Voted no.

There are odd problems now and then that spring up on both systems which cause me to vote no. But if your hardware is supported and you use your own favorite applications (not the metro stuff) you could possibly pull off a daily driver.

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:42 AM

Do you guys think Windows 10 technical preview would be stable enough for me to use it as a daily driver?

Yes, in a sense.  Meaning... I use it daily & it is very stable.  But, there is difference between using it daily & what "Daily Driver" means.  DD means Primary, maybe one's ONLY "production machine"... if that is what you are asking then the answer is NO.  Never run a beta OS as THE machine.  as a VM, as a "Spare Box", on a VHD or dual-boot but, never as your regular "Daily Driver"... as long as you have a current NON-BETA OS, sure ignore it & run Win10 every day... but, not as your only computer... not until it is not long beta.

Cheers,
Drew

thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

#11 alvachristi

alvachristi

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:05 AM

The Windows 10 Technical Preview (TP) is an evaluation copy for enterprise users.Basically, it’s an early test version. Businesses are given the chance to try it out, see how it fits into their routines and provide Microsoft with feedback. Ideally, Microsoft will integrate the collected data into a final product that meets the needs of its customers.

So what is it about the Technical Preview that makes it unsuitable to replace your main operating system or for private use?

I didn't  recommend that you install this preview if you are not an IT professional or not professionally managing corporate PCs or devices. We also do not recommend that you install this preview on your primary home or business PC.Hope it will help you.

#12 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:30 AM

"So what is it about the Technical Preview that makes it unsuitable to replace your main operating system or for private use?"

This is easy to answer as follows:
​A person has 1 computer running a valid, genuine, OS in it.  They own it, they bought & paid for it.  Now, they wipe it out w/ a beta OS.  It is gone AND so is its Recovery partition... replaced by the Windows 10 Recovery... they cannot revert to the original OS... except via a clean install of that original OS.  Something has to be done because running the beta OS does no good, @ all, because it expires!  Self-destructs by a certain date of only a very few months.  Now, the person has nothing, no OS, @ all.  Betas are free & ONLY on (a short) loan.  Transcends these TPs... it applies to swapping out any "production machine" w/ a beta OS.  Leaves a person backed into a corner.

Nor is it ever necessary to do this absolute taboo.  If no 'spare box', there is dual-boot, VHD & VM as available acceptable options, methods.  Enough right choices, there is no need to use a wrong choice.

Cheers,
Drew

#13 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:37 AM

Ok???????????????????????????? so whats this leaked image yes 10056 and the rubbish bin looks like Windows 95 bin

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:00 AM

RobertHD, the icons of an OS doesn't affect it's stability at all.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#15 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:33 PM

RobertHD, the icons of an OS doesn't affect it's stability at all.

Or the rest of its performance or its Features or its ease of use.

Cheers,
Drew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users