Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall, Antyvirus, configuration, encrypting... - [Security]

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cybbermouse

Cybbermouse

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:11 AM

First I want to mark I know that Linux 'doesn't need any antyvirus because there are not viruses for Linux'. But while being surrounded with not-secure websites it's not hard to find programmers which are programming this type of viruses.
I want this topic to be the topic about security and good tips linked with configuration for Linux-begginers.

I've just installed the latest version of Linux Ubuntu. What I've done up to now it was to encrypt the disc with LUKS (TC 7.1a better?), install rkhunter scanner (in order to be sure there's no any rootkit in my system), get the firewall utf (and gutf) and sit on the floor wondering : "What now?". So here you've got a few enquiries - I hope you will help (not only) me : )
1. What is the best free scanner and antyvirus for Linux? (Maybe my rkhunter isn't so good as I thought at first)
2. What do you recommend to change? Imagine you've just installed Ubuntu - what options will you change now? If you can show me your favourite configuration of the system.
3. Are you pleased with dm-crypt or prefer algorithms of TC?

4. Firewall - which firewall and the configuration in order to make the computer very safe
5.Tips for begginers which begginers are not aware of

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:31 PM

1. What is the best free scanner and antyvirus for Linux? (Maybe my rkhunter isn't so good as I thought at first)

RkHunter is not a antivirus.

Clam AntiVirus is an anti-virus toolkit for Unix. The main purpose of this software is the integration with mail servers (attachment scanning). The package provides a flexible and scalable multi-threaded daemon in the clamav-daemon package, a command-line scanner in the clamav package, and a tool for automatic updating via the Internet in the clamav-

To install ClamAV and it's Front end ClamTK , just press Ctrl+Alt+T on your keyboard to open Terminal. When it opens, run the commands below.

sudo apt-get install clamav clamtk
4. Firewall - which firewall and the configuration in order to make the computer very safe

Ubuntu has a firewall, UFW

To start UFW  , just press Ctrl+Alt+T on your keyboard to open Terminal.

sudo UFW enable

This will start UFW and create a script that will start it each time you boot Ubuntu.

5.Tips for begginers which begginers are not aware of

http://howtoubuntu.org/things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-14-04-trusty-tahr

You may also want to read this post Started by Kaosu,

[Guide] Practical GNU/Linux Security – Desktop Edition

Edited by NickAu, 08 March 2015 - 07:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users