Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect Two Windows7 Machines

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sceadugenga

sceadugenga

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:10 AM

I want to hook up and transfer files between my PC and my Laptop which were usually only  a few feet apart.

I Googled using Wifi but it just refuses to connect, the last excuse was "different time zones on each machine"

Yeah...  as if.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:47 PM

You obviously have the International Date Line running through the middle of your house !

If you only wish to move / copy / sync a relative few files between these computers can you not set them up as a network ?  Especially if they are both running the same OS it is easy. 'Control panel - Network and sharing centre - Create new network'. You have a choice of several types of connection, wireless is probably the easiest if you have a router.

Essentially you create a 'Homegroup' on one of the computers and this will generate a password. 1 - Save the password in case you need it again. 2 - Go to the other computer and using 'Network and sharing centre' join the homegroup for which you will need the password generated in the first step.

Once you have them both on the same group you use the 'Properties' panel of the folder(s) in which these files are stored to set them as being 'shared'. RIGHT click n the folder in Windows Explorer to bring up the 'Properties' panel.

If you don't have a router you can set up an 'ad hoc' connection by wireless directly between the two computers - fairly simply for two, becoming rapidly more complex for more than two.

If you don't have a wireless capability on both computers it is possible to connect the two together using a cross-over ethernet cable, see this article from Wikipedia -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

Chris Cosgrove

#3 sceadugenga

sceadugenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:08 PM

Thanks Cris, I set up a network and homegroup using my wifi router but that's when it started making excuses not to transfer files.

I get to the pint where the laptop is asked to join the homegroup, I put in the password and then it stops.

#4 reast82

reast82

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:09 AM

Assuming that both are on the same LAN

From COMPUTERA at a run box type \\COMPUTERB IP ADDRESS\c$ (ie \\192.168.0.122\c$)

you will be prompted for credentials - make sure its an admin account

For user enter COMPUTERB_COMPUTERNAME\COMPUTERB_USERNAME (ie My-PC\fred)

enetr the approprate password

If all goes well - you will have access to the entire C drive

#5 sceadugenga

sceadugenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:51 AM

OK, I'll spend a bit of time on that later.

Thanks

#6 francy22

francy22

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:59 AM

To connect two computers with a crossover cable

This works best if both computers are running this version of Windows or Windows Vista.

1. Plug each end of the crossover cable into a network port on the back of each computer.

2. On one of the computers that's running this version of Windows, do the following:

Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type network, and then click Network and Sharing Center.

3. In the network map at the top of Network and Sharing Center, double-click the Unidentified network‍ icon. (If you have more than one network, this icon will be labeled Multiple networks.)

4. If network discovery and file sharing are turned off, in Network, click the information bar containing the following message: "Network discovery and file sharing are turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. Click to change...," and then click Turn on network discovery and file sharing. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Mod Edit:  Removed spam link - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 09 March 2015 - 10:15 AM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:01 PM

"different time zones on each machine"

I have never run into this difficulty myself, but the thought just occurred to me - is the clock correct on both computers ?  My sister-in-law had this problem browsing and it took me a little while to realise that her date/time was exactly 8 years out, the time, day and  month were correct. A new CMOS battery fixed that.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 sceadugenga

sceadugenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:51 PM

No, I keep an eye on my clocks because I move between time zones regularly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users