Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

strongsignal virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 chucklp

chucklp

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:16 AM

ht everybody.....i started a new thread because this is a nasty snake......it hijacks everything, slows down, locks up, freezes.....uninstall from control panel, fixing your browser xtensions or whatevr you do dont work.....do you wizards have a free aggressive rootkiller for this....i tried all the suggestions online for "how to remove strongsignal".....its a deep infection....what you got for this?   thanks

strongsignal

Edited by chucklp, 08 March 2015 - 12:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BrianDrab

BrianDrab

• Malware Response Team
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:41 AM

Hi. My name is Brian, and I would be happy to look into your issue.

- General Instructions -

• Please read all instructions and fixes thoroughly. Read the ENTIRE post BEFORE performing any steps so you understand all that needs to be done.
  • I would advise printing any instructions for easy reference as some of the fixes may require you to boot in Safe mode. Access to these instructions may not be available in Safe Mode.
  • Any fixes provided by myself are for this log file only and should not be used on any other systems.
  • Do not run any other removal software or perform updates other than the ones I provide, as it will complicate the cleaning process.
  • It's very likely that part of our cleanup will include emptying your recycle bin. If you use your recycle bin as an archive and do not wish this to be emptied, please let me know.
  • You have 4 days to reply to each post or the topic will be closed.
  • Please feel free to ask any questions, especially if you are having problems with my instructions.

- Save ALL Tools to your Desktop-

All tools that I have you download should be placed on the desktop unless otherwise stated. If you are familiar with how to save files to the desktop then you can skip this step.

Since you are continuing with this step then I assume you are unfamiliar with saving files to your desktop. As a result it's easiest if you configure your browser(s) to download any tools to the desktop by default. Please use the appropriate instructions below depending on the browser you are using.
Chrome.JPGGoogle Chrome - Click the "Customize and control Google Chrome" button in the upper right-corner of the browser.Settings.JPG Choose Settings. at the bottom of the screen click the
"Show advanced settings..." link. Scroll down to find the Downloads section and click the Change... button. Select your desktop and click OK.
Firefox.JPGMozilla Firefox - Click the "Open Menu" button in the upper right-corner of the browser. Settings.JPG Choose Options. In the downloads section, click the Browse button, click on the Desktop folder
and the click the "Select Folder" button. Click OK to get out of the Options menu.
IE.jpgInternet Explorer - Click the Tools menu in the upper right-corner of the browser. Tools.JPG Select View downloads. Select the Options link in the lower left of the window. Click Browse and
select the Desktop and then choose the Select Folder button. Click OK to get out of the download options screen and then click Close to get out of the View Downloads screen.
NOTE: IE8 Does not support changing download locations in this manner. You will need to download the tool(s) to the default folder, usually Downloads, then copy them to the desktop.

- Finally Before We Start-

Removing malware is a complicated multiple step process, Please stay with me until I have declared your system clean. I strongly recommend you backup your personal files and folders. Although rare, attempting to remove malware can render your machine unbootable or cause data loss. Having backups of your data is your responsibility. Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.

Fresh Set of Logs Needed
Let's begin. Please follow the steps below.

1. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
    Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
2. Right click on the file and select Run as administrator (If you don't have this option simply double-click the file to open). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
3. Press Scan button.
4. It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from (which should be the desktop)
5. Please copy and paste log back here.
6. The first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.
     Note: Please do not attach any logs unless specifically requested. It's easier if you simply copy and paste them into your reply. It's OK if you have to use more than one post to do so.

#3 BrianDrab

BrianDrab

• Malware Response Team
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:18 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:45 AM

This topic has been re-opened at the request of the person who originally posted.

#5 chucklp

chucklp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:13 AM

brian, sorry i did not get back to you.  Been busy.  The "farbor recovery scan tool" locked up in

" delldrivers/R302427/driverbin_32bit/rtsustor.sys "

waited for it to continue scan.  It was locked up.

then managed to exit but would not respond.

i had to hold the power button down to shut down then restart.

this is not the first time it has done this.

i have tried other scans and it locked in the same location.

looks like the drivers are infected real bad.

i have the recovery disks for this PC.

is it possibble to overwrite the drivers from the Recovery Disk?

what do u want to do?

advise please

Edited by chucklp, 13 March 2015 - 02:41 AM.

#6 BrianDrab

BrianDrab

• Malware Response Team
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:17 AM

brian, sorry i did not get back to you.  Been busy. 

No problem, it happens. It's standard procedure to close threads with no response after 4 days.

Do you know what Operating System you have (i.e. Vista, Windows 7)? If you don't know and are able to click on a link, this will tell you.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/which-operating-system

#7 chucklp

chucklp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:19 PM

brian, sorry i did not get back to you.  Been busy. 

No problem, it happens. It's standard procedure to close threads with no response after 4 days.

Do you know what Operating System you have (i.e. Vista, Windows 7)? If you don't know and are able to click on a link, this will tell you.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/which-operating-system

chuck.>>>>its a Dell Inspirion  N5050 intel i3 win7 with 8gs of ddr3

this all i could find.

http://laptopmen.blogspot.com/2012/03/dell-inspiron-15-n5050-specs_17.html

Edited by chucklp, 13 March 2015 - 12:34 PM.

#8 BrianDrab

BrianDrab

• Malware Response Team
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

No problem. Please do the following. I'd like to see if your computer can get into Safe Mode With Networking and then try to run the scan from there.

Step#1
1. Shut down your computer and leave it off for a good 10 seconds.
2. Power on your computer and then repeatedly tap the F8 key on your keyboard (about a second apart for each tap). This will open up the Advanced Boot Options screen which will look similar to what is shown below.
    SafeModeWithNetworking.JPG

3. At the above screen you will see a variety of options that can be used to boot Windows. Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, highlight the option labeled Safe Mode with Networking.
    Once it is highlighted, click on the Enter key on your keyboard.

4. See if you can get to the desktop using this option and then let's see if you can run FRST.

Step#2 - FRST Logs

1. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop. If it's already on your desktop you can use that version.
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
    Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
2. Right click on the file and select Run as administrator (If you don't have this option simply double-click the file to open). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.

3. Ensure the Addition check box before scanning.
4. Press Scan button.
5. It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from (which should be the desktop)
6. Please copy and paste log back here.
7. The first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.
     Note: Please do not attach any logs unless specifically requested. It's easier if you simply copy and paste them into your reply. It's OK if you have to use more than one post to do so.

Items for your next post
1. Contents of the FRST log.
2. Contents of the Addition log.

#9 chucklp

chucklp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:46 PM

it boots, starts up and runs.  ...do u still want me to do the safe mode with networking?

#10 BrianDrab

BrianDrab

• Malware Response Team
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:03 PM

If you are able to post the FRST.txt and Addition.txt logs when booted normally then there is no reason to try this in Safe Mode with Networking. Please post the logs and we'll get you fixed up.

#11 chucklp

chucklp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

If you are able to post the FRST.txt and Addition.txt logs when booted normally then there is no reason to try this in Safe Mode with Networking. Please post the logs and we'll get you fixed up.

brian, see #5.

it wont finish scan. I cant get a scan log.

it locks up in "delldrivers".

#12 BrianDrab

BrianDrab

• Malware Response Team
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:13 PM

Correct, which is why I suggested trying this from Safe Mode with Networking. See if it finishes the scan in this mode.

#13 chucklp

chucklp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:15 PM

Correct, which is why I suggested trying this from Safe Mode with Networking. See if it finishes the scan in this mode.

no, Emsisoft dont work in "safe mode"

click on it, right click open dont work.

did nothing in safe mode.

right now im back in "start windows normal"

Edited by chucklp, 13 March 2015 - 01:17 PM.

#14 BrianDrab

BrianDrab

• Malware Response Team
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:18 PM

We're not trying to use Emsisoft.

So you are able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking correct?

Then if you try to open FRST or FRST64 what happens?

#15 chucklp

chucklp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

We're not trying to use Emsisoft.

So you are able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking correct?

Then if you try to open FRST or FRST64 what happens?

i appreciate your help but i think i will throw in the towel.

it needs a new HD anyway.

its been humming, vibrating, making buzzinng noises for awhile but it worked ok.    i left it alone.

then it got this nasty bug.

this is getting to be too much.

the HD is done.

i was looking for a program(s) that were fairly easy to use then put in it storage for later if this happens again.

i would like to close this.

thanks to everybody your time.

Edited by chucklp, 13 March 2015 - 01:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users