Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

password stopped working for windows login until i restarted pc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 briangle

briangle

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:13 PM

any idea what could cause this?? it really freaked me out - i'm sure i was putting in the right password and no caps were on.

any help is much appreciated.

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:05 PM

Is this you user password, or a Microsoft Account password?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 briangle

briangle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

Is this you user password, or a Microsoft Account password?

its my microsoft hotmail/user password

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

One thing that could have happened might that you had switched keyboards (by pressing Ctrl + Shift at the same time) and you weren't using the same "language" for the keyboard. Hence you thought you were entering it while you were entering something else. Restarting the computer set back the default keyboard and your password worked. This is one logical situation I can think of.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 briangle

briangle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:40 PM

One thing that could have happened might that you had switched keyboards (by pressing Ctrl + Shift at the same time) and you weren't using the same "language" for the keyboard. Hence you thought you were entering it while you were entering something else. Restarting the computer set back the default keyboard and your password worked. This is one logical situation I can think of.

hmm, well i don't use any other languages on my pc - maybe if that is a preprogrammed function?

i guess i feel better, so long as no one knows of a virus or something that changes your password temporarily for some reason.

thanks for the help :)

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:41 PM

I'm not sure but depending of the keyboard language you have, the region you're in and that you set when you configure Windows on installation, it can set you 2 or 3 keyboards and not only one. I guess that you would have to verify that :)

http://www.howtogeek.com/121169/how-to-change-your-keyboard-layout-in-windows-8/

And no problem :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users