Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Anti Virus Software

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:57 PM

What do you use? Why? What are the pros and cons of some of the free versions available? I have tried a few of them but have settled on Bitdefender Free due to it's high ratings, very small footprint/system resource useage, and simple install and forget it. Would love to hear from others on what they use.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:00 PM

You ask a common question for which you will receive varying opinions and recommendations.

Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:Here are links to polls about this very subject:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:19 PM

Comparison of Anti-virus software

Keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free...see Has the antivirus industry gone mad?!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:19 AM

Personally I use Kaspersky Internet Security, which is a paid software. I use it mainly because it's the first paid Antivirus I used 7 years ago and I fell in love with it, and it happens to be one of the top Antivirus there is so I was in luck. It fits all my needs, it's performant, have a high level of efficiency, everything you can ask in a good Antivirus product. If I were to go with free products, I would say avast!, Avira and Qihoo 360 since they have either been around for a while to prove themself as good product, or their scores in the Antivirus reviews, tests that I've seen are simly amazing. As for free products, I would go with Kaspersky, ESET and Emsisoft, which seems to be pretty much the three favorites around here. I'll do the switch to Emsisoft Internet Security as soon as my Kaspersky licence expire and see what the whole hype is about :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:38 AM

As for free products, I would go with Kaspersky, ESET and Emsisoft, which seems to be pretty much the three favorites around here.

Typo there, Aura - Kaspersky and ESET do not offer free products, and Emsisoft's freeware stuff don't have real time protection.

I was also a Kaspersky user for years - first it was Kaspersky Anti-Virus, then Kaspersky Endpoint Security - before I came to BC and found my true love in Emsisoft :P

Free AVs commonly used here are Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, Avira, BitDefender, AVG and sometimes Panda. I'm not a big fan of Qihoo to be honest, but for personal reasons.

Alex

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:13 AM

By default Emsisoft Anti-Malware installs as a free fully functional 30-day trial version with real-time protection. After the trial period expires you can either choose to buy a full version license or continue to use it in limited freeware mode which still allows you to scan and clean infections. The freeware mode no longer provides any real-time protection to guard against new infections. However, at any time during the trial enabled period, you can easily turn off all real time protection and just use it as on-demand scanner only. Once the trial period expires nothing really changes except that the options to activate real-time protection are no longer available without purchasing the full version.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:26 AM

Sorry Alex my bad, you know how late it was when I typed that and I couldn't be bothered to change it, at least you got me covered :lol: I'm not a big fan of AVG too, they are trying to push the user to install way too much useless software like PC TuneUp, Web TuneUp, etc. This is really sad for an Antivirus company.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:24 PM

AVG is also lacking in the support department.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:56 PM

I have split away the discussion of support into its own topic so everyone can continue there if they wish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users