Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Photoshop Desktop in VM

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 theturtle

theturtle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

Hi Everyone, 

For my first post I just want to ask if you think something would work.  My desktop is a Xeon 1230 with 16gb of ram, Quadro 600 and a Samsung 850.  What do you think the performance would be of this?

I want to run Windows Server 2012 Essentials which would basically be my NAS, media server and run a few light media related duties.  Right now I have this on a very old Proliant I want to recycle.

Inside of that I'd like to run VirtualBox (or Hyper-V I don't really know that much about Virtualization) with Windows 7 to be my main desktop.  The Desktop needs to run Photoshop as it's most intensive application but will several things going on at once, usually firefox and chrome both with several tabs, Photoshop almost always on usually with active PSD's, Skype, Excel (nothing crazy in Excel just how I record my time) and maybe just a couple other things.

If I'm able to, I'd dedicate maybe 2-3 gigs of ram to the Host and the remainder of my 16 to the VM.  Can you dedicate cores as well?  I'd imaging 1 physical core would do it's "server" duties.  Am I way off?  Would this be crazily unideal?  I really want to run some Virtualized OS to keep things completely separate, that's why I don't want to just throw photoshop on the Server portion.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users