Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Edit Change By Browse the Save To Download to String Win 8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dazza

Dazza

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:49 PM

Good Morning :thumbup2:  I dont know How' but the String in Firefox >Options>General>Downloads >Save To has changed Twice to a  Differant Path? And it will not let me "Edit" correct it, Nor Alter it to what it should be and allways has been' Nor will it Let me select the Old Path (String) from the "Browse" Option

< C:\Users\DazzlingDasha\Desktop\MMYYDownloaded >  this is the Original Path

Then it changed Months ago to This   < C:\Users\DazzlingDasha\Contacts\Desktop\MMYYDownloaded >

Today it Changed to This  < C:\Users\DazzlingDasha\Contacts\Desktop\Desktop\MMYYDownloaded >

Not so Puzzling with Windows 8.1 I guess it has a Mind of Its Own? Roll On Windows 10

Thanks for any help you Can Give Guys Dasha :clapping:

----------------------------------------------------------

2013 – Computer DELL Inspiron 660 2013 Intel Pentium 4 CPU  -  2.4 GB  -  2.80 Gig & 512 Meg Ram with Intel Graphics Controller’ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV - BENQ 21.5" Screen 

MS Wireless Keyboard and Mouse - Running Latest Firefox, Gmail, Windows 8 . I - Firewall is On - 

File System -  NTFS Capacity - 149.0 GB - 160.031,015,425 bytes  

Weston 1000 Terabyte HDD - Partitions are  F, -  G, -  H, - I

Malewarebytes --> CCleaner --> Avast Anti Virus (Free) All Run Weekly -  Genie Time-line Backup Home “ON”

Edited by Dazza, 07 March 2015 - 07:50 PM.

2013 DELL Inspiron 660, Intel 4 CPU - 2.4 GB, 512 Meg Ram, 64 bit / BEN-Q 21.5" Scr,

Windows 10, Weston 1000 T-byte HDD - Partitions -  G, -  H, - I, - J 

CCleaner, Kaspersky (Full Version) MWMByts Weekly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:53 PM

It just shows you are never too stupid to learn !  I've been using Firefox for 10 or 15 years and until today I thought the choices were 'Downloads' or 'Always ask' ! Since I save different types of files in different places i have always used 'Always ask'.

Are you having any other odd behaviour in Firefox - pop-ups, re-directions to unexpected web-sites, failure to go to web-sites ?  Have any of your security products ever suggested something has got in ?  If you try the 'always ask' option, does a downloaded file go where you tell it to ?

If it was just that the path was changing from time to time, I would put that down as an oddity in Firefox. It is your statement that you can't change the present path that raises concerns. As a first step I would suggest a full Malwarebytes and Avast system scan to see if they throw up anything.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:45 PM

Thanks Chris Sorry I took so Long I had to do a Reinstall Luckily I had Backed up all me good stuff I don't know if it was a Virus But I had Turned Inst Auto Updates But it started Installing them and it Crashed! Took Dell a week to Send another "Recovery Disc" as the original that they sent when it Locked Me Out during  that Crazy MS Personal Account Rubbish the Day I bought it would not Verify?? :killcomp:

Roll on Window 10 I have had nothing but Account and Password trouble since the Day I bought this New Dell Desktop Thanks for Responding Chris Dasha :clapping:

2013 DELL Inspiron 660, Intel 4 CPU - 2.4 GB, 512 Meg Ram, 64 bit / BEN-Q 21.5" Scr,

Windows 10, Weston 1000 T-byte HDD - Partitions -  G, -  H, - I, - J 

CCleaner, Kaspersky (Full Version) MWMByts Weekly

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

8.1 is not a bad OS - it's reasonably stable and reasonably fast- depending on your hardware.  I do not have ready access to a computer running 8.1 so I am not as practiced as I  might be but let me assure you that Win 7 can have its quirks - see my current topic in 'Web-browsers'.

Have you removed all the 'bloatware' from your computer that it came pre-packed with ?  Just a thought.

chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users