Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual boot Win 7 and Linux Mint ?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:45 PM

Don't all fall about laughing - I have taken the plunge and installed Mint on a spare hard drive. This is an old spare hard drive and If I like it I may well put a newer one into my desktop for this purpose.

The basic hardware is :

CPU        AMD Athlon II x2 250
MOBO    ASUS  M4N68T-M-V2 (AM3)
RAM       2X KINGSTON DDR3 2Gb

931GB Seagate ST1000DM 003-1CH162 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)  Win 7-64 OS 'C' drive
931GB Hitachi HDS721010CLA SCSI Disk Device (SATA)   Data
465GB Seagate ST350041 8AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA)    Data
232GB Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00GVC0 ATA Device (ATA)   Linux Mint 17.1-64 OS

The basic question is how do I set up a dual boot choice ?  At the moment it is either pot luck on what the BIOS feels like booting into or I sit there hammering 'F8' as it boots to bring up the boot choice menu !

If one of these OSs needs to be uninstalled to set things up to do this, please pick on the Mint one as that would cause me considerably less grief at this point in time than even thinking about re-installing Windows.

Oh, and as I am supposed to be a moderator, let's try and keep this on topic !

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:01 PM

Chris- i just did this on my machine- except I am doing a Triple boot Windows7/Zorin/Linux Mint. You have to go into Mint and open the terminal.THen Type this sudo grub-install /dev/sda- then type this (or Copy and Paste) sudo update-grub . Now the grub bootloader will overwrite the windows bootloader when you reboot your machine,both operating systems will be there. Probably with Mint listed first. Ifyou care to look through it - I posted a topic Here:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/568798/triple-boot-w-win7zorinlinux-mint-mate/ and got some great help from several people. Hope this helps!

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

also- did you create a swap partition for Mint?

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:10 PM

As paul88ks has given Chris good advice that will most likely work, Lets wait till Chris replys before making more or any other suggestions.

Don't all fall about laughing

To late. :hysterical:

Oh, and as I am supposed to be a moderator, let's try and keep this on topic !

Oh is that what a blue id means? That makes you my boss? :bowdown:

Go easy on Chris guys he is a Moderator and a Windows user after all. :whistle:

Edited by NickAu, 08 March 2015 - 12:07 AM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,214 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:01 PM

Part 1 worked. I copied and pasted Paul's post into a text file which I opened so I could copy his inputs. Opened 'Terminal' and typed in the first line

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Then I got a line which said :-  [sudo] password for cosgrove  ,   followed by a blinking white cursor and for some reason I cannot type anything at this cursor or copy / paste either. I am using a Logitech wireless keyboard but it let me type in the first line but as soon as it asks for my password it won't accept any input from the keyboard at all. It will cheerfully let me type anything I want in the text editor, but not in terminal.

Any ideas ?

Chris Cosgrove

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:08 PM

Not sure if this will help, but generally when you type your password it does not show, not even little dots, and the courser don't move.  Just type it and hit enter.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:10 PM

The basic question is how do I set up a dual boot choice ?

In most cases this will be done for you. When the boot-manager (GRUB2) is setup it will create an entry for Linux Mint that boots by default, and entries for any other supported boot-managers, and boot-loaders found on the system (including Windows Boot Manager). It sounds like you may have installed GRUB2 onto a drive that isn't the first bootable drive on your system, either that or Windows wasn't detected.

If you use your BIOS's quick-boot menu (menu that gives you the option to boot from whichever device you want) to boot Linux Mint does it just boot directly into Linux Mint, or does it display a menu with an entry for Linux Mint, and an entry for Windows?

Assuming that both Windows and Linux Mint are listed, you can re-install GRUB2 using Paul's method.

Then I got a line which said :-  [sudo] password for cosgrove  ,   followed by a blinking white cursor and for some reason I cannot type anything at this cursor

Text won't appear because it's a security hazard to show passwords (especially a sudoers). Type your user password, and press "enter".

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

make sure you left click on the cursor itself before you type it- put your mouse pointer right in the middle of the cursor and left click it- then type- let me know if that works-

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,214 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the advice and info. I am used to secured passwords appearing as bullet points for security purposes - not to them not appearing at all !  So I can now stop wearing out my finger tip on the 'F8' key and get on with more important things.

And the reason for the crack about staying on topic ?  Anybody can report a topic, for any reason, but it's the moderators that get to sort them out. So it is no good me reporting a topic has gone off the rails - I'd just have to go and sort it out myself !

Thanks,

Chris Cosgrove

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:07 AM

Chris, if you don't already know how & it's important for your security.....activate your Firewall. It's simple, using the Terminal, just type in the below command or copy/paste & Enter. As I see, you already know the deal on your password. 

sudo ufw enable

You'll know as soon as you type your password & press Enter that it's successful, Firewall is active & enabled at Startup. 

Good Luck with Linux Mint! It's been my 'go to' OS for well over 5 years. 

Enjoy! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for the reminder Cat, it is one of the things I had intended checking in the very near future.

And if any one is curious as to why, when I installed Mint it didn't set up a boot choice, the reason is quite simple. The first time I tried it I accidentally wiped a 500Gb drive with about 300Gb of data on it. This time I disconnected all my other hard drives so that the same mishap couldn't happen again. Yes, I have almost all the data on that drive backed up but it is the inconvenience of having to re-instate the data I was making sure I avoided. And of course, with the other drives disconnected there wasn't a Windows system to detect.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,845 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:05 PM

The first time I tried it I accidentally wiped a 500Gb drive with about 300Gb of data on it.

Been there done that.

Here's a few ways to install Linux.

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/11/x-linux-installation-guides.html

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

It turns out I went over to dual booting just in time. One of this week's MS updates has done my Windows system no good at all - KB3033929. Apparently this update doesn't like dual booting systems and gave me about 36 hours of grief before I got it to settle down. I have since seen at least one report suggesting this problem but I did the update before I saw it.

I still have some problems to iron out on my Mint set-up but that's what BC is for, isn't it ?

Chris Cosgrove

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:55 PM

I guess that I was one of the lucky ones, or the issue was fixed before I updated........my two main systems are quad booters, two of which includes 2 copies of Windows 7 (Pro & Ultimate), along with either 8 OEM or 8.1 Pro & Linux MInt 17.1 MATE. The reason for two copies, is that one on each is a testbed. 

There are two other systems, one is a tri-booter, the other a quad, both of those also has Windows 7, but only one copy. Still no reboot loop. There was an initial second reboot after the updates were applied, maybe due to the sheer number of updates, this month outdid the last. With the lat two months included, there has to be nearly 300 post SP1 updates to install, seems like since Microsoft isn't going to issue SP2 for Windows 7, which was supposed to add native USB 3.0 capabilities, that an independent would be working on an 'unofficial' SP2. Kind of like with Windows 2000 Pro, there was an unofficial SP5, the difference here is that one was worked on in a MS lab & abandoned, because XP was getting very popular. 

Still, it managed to leak & remains available online at a reputable site. Would be great if one was leaked for Windows 7, clean or reinstalls are a chore for us, like a minimum of an entire day or most of a weekend, if there was no initial backup taken post-install. Thank goodness I have the original for all of mine, and recently had to delete a couple of which no longer is here. 

Makes an XP install like a stroll through the park. At least I know where the end is with those. 

Glad that things finally settled down, Chris. :thumbup2:

At least until next month anyway.  :P

Yes, that's what we're here for Chris, hopefully you'll pick on MInt fairly fast. I'm by no means a 'guru'. but it's been my default OS for nearly 6 years. Began running it while Windows 7 was still in beta/RC stage. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 13 March 2015 - 11:02 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:10 PM

Chris Cosgrove -You DID install Mint on a separate partition I hope? Right? Theoretically you shouldn't have issues.I had to spend an entire morning recovering my Win 7 install when I tried to install Zorin on the same partition.!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users