Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Router with 250ft+ range?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Insaneman1731

Insaneman1731

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

Hello all,

I am in the market for a decently priced router with a range of at least 250ft, passing through at least 2-3 walls. I am needing the range due to trying to get wifi signal out to an in-law suite that is about 200ft away from the main house. An older Linksys Wireless N router barely gets the signal there and breaks up all the time. 

I searched before posting....thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:32 PM

If it gets signal there then you could buy newer router and turn that Linksys into a wireless repeater. It would connect to the new router via wireless then repeat the signal nice and strong. Also, if needed would give you a wired connection.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Insaneman1731

Insaneman1731
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:49 AM

The part that makes me nervous is the current router is barely getting the signal there, would another router be able to turn that signal into a strong one still? And what kind would I need...just any wireless N router and....use it as a repeater? 

You think that is a better way to go then to buy...just for say one great router to put in the main house? Thanks for the response. 

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

What model Linksys do you have now?

Yes it will take the signal and repeat it at full strength. You'd switch them, put the new one where the old Linksys is and use the Linksys as the repeater(it would take a bit of setup but nothing that difficult)

What I am suggesting would be cheaper. If price doesn't matter to you, then just google "routers with the longest range" and pick one that you like. 

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Insaneman1731

Insaneman1731
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:56 PM

What model Linksys do you have now?

Yes it will take the signal and repeat it at full strength. You'd switch them, put the new one where the old Linksys is and use the Linksys as the repeater(it would take a bit of setup but nothing that difficult)

What I am suggesting would be cheaper. If price doesn't matter to you, then just google "routers with the longest range" and pick one that you like. 

I will have to get back to you on what model Linksys it is now. I am actually not living where this router will be yet.

Your idea sounds great, yes price definitely does matter :). What in-expensive router would you recommend to replace the current one?

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:28 PM

You asked - "What in-expensive router would you recommend to replace the current one?" 

I am loath to recommend a specific router. Mainly because I'd only go with my personal experience and since we don't live together what works best for me might not for you. And while I'm sure you understand that and would keep it in mind, I still don't like getting into specifics. Honestly, any of the major brands; Belkin, D-Link, Linksys, are going to make great products. TP-Link seems to make a good product as well.  A few years ago I'd have said Linksys and never looked back but something happened; not sure if it was because Cisco bought them or not but their routers turned to crap or at least the ones I have been exposed to. 

My recommendation would be rather than buy online, buy from Wally World they sell all the major brands. You can take it home hook it up and just test the range. If you get enough range then keep it or you could spend a little money and buy like 3 of them take the ones back that don't perform the best. I say Wally World over online ONLY because returning it is hassle free with a receipt. 

If you find you get the coverage you need, happy days. If not no worries, setting up the repeater is a breeze. there's steps but they aren't hard to follow. But first the new router.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:43 PM

You can't repeat a weak signal.  Rule #1 for the placement of repeaters is they should be midway between the source and destination. After all the usual reason for repeating a signal is due to a lack of original source signal. This way they get a good signal and can then repeat the good signal.

Given the distance of 250' you really need to look into directional equipment instead of omnidirectional.

Here is a good start for information

https://www.ubnt.com/

Look at the bottom of this products list for the distance ranges you are looking for

https://www.ubnt.com/products/#all/wireless

Edited by Wand3r3r, 09 March 2015 - 12:46 PM.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:04 PM

There is something I forgot to ask, what sort of things does this "in-law" suite need to be able to do? Besides the basics: surf and email.

#9 Insaneman1731

Insaneman1731
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:00 PM

New idea here. I can hardwired a second router into the in-law suite. There is a pipe running to the in-law suite. 

So how can I do that? Connect one end of the Ethernet to the router in the main house, and the other end to the router in the in-law suite? Now my hardwired router is only 25ft away from me :). Seems way to easy though.....

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

what is/was the pipe used for? The other thing is you'd need to buy another router anyway so either way. You could try it wireless until you figure out running the wire. See if it works. But yes a wire would be better.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 09 March 2015 - 05:25 PM.

#11 Insaneman1731

Insaneman1731
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:00 PM

The pipe is used for data..I am just wondering how I would hook the main house router to the in-law suite router via ethernet. Is that difficult to do?

Edited by Insaneman1731, 09 March 2015 - 08:00 PM.

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:03 PM

If you want them on the same subnet, a LAN port. If you want different subnets, the WAN port. Either way there will be a bit of setup on the in-law router.

#13 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

Someone leave you a pull line in that pipe?

#14 Insaneman1731

Insaneman1731
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:29 PM

Someone leave you a pull line in that pipe?

yes sir. hopefully in a month of so I will be able to come back and you kind gentleman will be able to help me hook this up?

#15 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

lol good luck. we'll be here

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users