Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire 3000 BCM4318 Driver Install

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

I am trying to install what is needed to get a LiveDVD of Mate working on this laptop.  I had an error very similar to this:

[
110.081458] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw"
not found [
110.081669] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode5.fw"
not found [
110.081870] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware

I found an answer for this but don't really know what to do:  http://askubuntu.com/questions/404503/missing-firmware-error-on-lubuntu-12-04-livecd-b43-phy0-error-firmware-file-b

Here is the message in screenshot I got when I opened the Driver Manager.  It appears that this work if I was hooked up via. Ethernet, but I don't have this luxury.  

Is this screenshot telling me that I need a driver for this device? or the firmware, or both.  If I could just understand what needed to be installed I would attempt it.  

Wait, I found the driver BCM4318 as seen by using command lspci -vvnn | grep 14e4 but don't know what to download for Mint:  b43driver Opensource, second on list:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx 

And the second one here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-firmware-nonfree/1.14ubuntu1

2euic1z.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:37 PM

It's telling you that "bcmwl-kernel-source" and "linux-firmware-nonfree" are required by some of your hardware. When you click the circle beside them it will enable them. If the packages aren't already on the system it will download them first. In this particular case, both of the packages you need aren't pre-installed so they must be downloaded from the internet. Without an internet connection on the machine that's kind of difficult to do, eh? :P Luckily it's given you the package names, so you could get around this by booting the Linux Mint dvd on a computer that does have a connection and use apt-get to download the packages. Then copy the packages to the apt cache on this computer, install them, and then verify they are up and running using the Driver Manager. However, I'm not sure if a reboot will be required before the drivers will work, which you can't do since you're running from a live-dvd, but I would suspect so.

Steps:
1. Boot the Linux Mint dvd on a computer that does have an internet connection.
2. In the terminal type "sudo apt-get clean". This will clean your apt cache. It should already be clean, but better to make sure.
3. In the terminal type "sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source". This will download and install the package and any dependencies for it.
4. In the terminal type "sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree". This will download and install the package and any dependencies for it.
5. In the terminal type "sudo tar --exclude=partial --exclude=lock -cpf /media/mint/example/drivers.tar -C /var/cache/apt/archives/ .". This will backup the downloaded packages as a .tar saved in the location you chose (Eg: "/media/mint/example/"). Make sure to add that trailing "." in the command. I'd suggest choosing a usb stick so that you can transfer the data to the other computer easily.
6. On the computer you are trying to use the Linux Mint dvd on, boot Linux Mint, and type in the terminal "sudo tar -xpf /media/mint/example/drivers.tar -C /var/cache/apt/archives". This will extract the TAR archive's contents to your apt cache. Make sure to replace "/media/mint/example/drivers.tar" with the correct path for you TAR archive.
7. In the terminal type "sudo apt-get install --no-download bcmwl-kernel-source". This will install the packages.
8. In the terminal type "sudo apt-get install --no-download linux-firmware-nonfree". This will install the packages.
9. (Optional) In the terminal type "sudo apt-get clean". This will delete all packages from your apt cache.

Notes:
- Don't run "sudo apt-get update" on the live-dvd you are using to download the drivers; the 2 systems must have identical package lists to ensure identical dependency requests.

- The downloads are quite small.

Edited by hollowface, 07 March 2015 - 11:38 PM.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,241 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:55 PM

which you can't do since you're running from a live-dvd

He would need some sort of persistence file, Or he would have to re make the ISO with the drivers installed. OMG let's not go there.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

Thanks Hollowface!  I tried for hours to make this work, first by choosing the the check boxes to see if they would install from the disk.  Then by following very complicated instructions from some of those sites I posted, neither worked.  I'm sure there was something I was missing in the process, like which one needed to be installed first maybe.  I'm quite sure I got everything right but nothing.

You did answer one good questions for me though.  As a noob, sometimes just understanding the basics will help me alot.  This answer really helped: "It's telling you that "bcmwl-kernel-source" and "linux-firmware-nonfree" are required by some of your hardware."

If I had ethernet I could just choose those packages in the screenshot and I would be good right?

I got a little lost here:  5. In the terminal type "sudo tar --exclude=partial --exclude=lock -cpf /media/mint/example/drivers.tar -C /var/cache/apt/archives/ .". This will backup the downloaded packages as a .tar saved in the location you chose (Eg: "/media/mint/example/"). Make sure to add that trailing "." in the command. I'd suggest choosing a usb stick so that you can transfer the data to the other computer easily.

The Trailing "." at the end of command right, this command right?  /var/cache/apt/archives/ .? as the period you commented on is a Blue period, just to be clear.   And the pathway difference would be "example" and all else would be the same?  To know what the pathway for the folder I choose, I can just go to that folder prior and look at the top of the screen to see what the pathway is?

I might as well create a folder for it, right? and add that folder name where "example" is in your directions.

I did try this but in a much different way, which I don't know if was correct.  I downloaded the .tar files to usb on working computer and installed as per their instructions.

The plan at this point is to get my XP install working and then do this so give me a little time.  I can't see doing this more than once, so might as well install Mate first then add software so that I can reboot.

I'll be back!

Edited by pcpunk, 08 March 2015 - 03:51 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:43 PM

If I had ethernet I could just choose those packages in the screenshot and I would be good right?

Yes, it would automatically download the packages, install them, and enable the drivers for you.

The Trailing "." at the end of command right, this command right?  /var/cache/apt/archives/ .? as the period you commented on is a Blue period

Yes, that trailing dot. I generally (not always) use red text for text what needs to be typed (Eg: commands), and blue text for things that are quoted, need to be taken notice of, and keyboard keys.

And the pathway difference would be "example" and all else would be the same?  To know what the pathway for the folder I choose, I can just go to that folder prior and look at the top of the screen to see what the pathway is?

When you connect and open a device it will be given a mount point. On the live-dvd this will typically be "/media/mint/the-partition-label". Adjust which ever parts of the path you need in order to save the TAR where you want it saved.

I might as well create a folder for it, right? and add that folder name where "example" is in your directions.

If you don't want to save the TAR in the root of the device, you can save in a sub-folder, but the folder must already exist.

The plan at this point is to get my XP install working and then do this so give me a little time.  

No rush. :)

I can't see doing this more than once, so might as well install Mate first then add software so that I can reboot.

Good plan. I haven't tested that scenario, but since the package differences between the live installation, and the final product (on offline machines) are minimal, I wouldn't expect you to run into any dependency issues. Perhaps someone with a Linux Mint - Mate disc can confirm.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:00 PM

:thumbup2:

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

Can't even install Mate to this laptop?  The installer just kept running and the dialogue box showed nothing, and, the fan was running on High? the whole time 1hr 45min.  Maybe I should try and run something else.  I have contemplated that the current XP-Acer partitions are causing me issues, but that is just an uneducated guess.  I also tried a puppy tahr6.0 on another install of xp, with this pc but the same issue.  I searched for something that would work but there is a lot of info out there I  don't understand, and apparently not much support for this particular pc.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:17 PM

hollowface, I completed all this and it went well! but, unsure why you present this as it was done at the start?  9. (Optional) In the terminal type "sudo apt-get clean". This will delete all packages from your apt cache.  You say "Optional" so I will take that as fact but I will ask:  Would it not be best to "clean" the old stuff out so that the OS don't try to use it?  Maybe this questions doesn't make sense but...well...you know lol. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:34 PM

hollowface, this did not work, I will leave my Terminal outcome here, and I am going to try and install again, then use this.  I see where it says this: "Segmentation fault

update-initramfs is disabled since running on read-only media"  I'm guessing this is the issue.    

Also, I asked cat1092 this question at the Hardware site below:  I'm not getting any "Free Space" in the Installer due to a recovery partition that is located After XP, so do you think this is preventing me from installing Mint?  

I've complained to cat LOL, about these silly Acer partitions.  I know they are necessary for some Acer functions and house drivers and maybe Chipsets? well at least the drivers.  I think I might have to remove XP to do this, well, at least easily. 

I was discussing hardware issues here with cat and others here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565616/acer-aspire-3000-zl5/

mint@mint ~ $ sudo tar -xpf /media/mint/3A1B-C837/drivers.tar -C /var/cache/apt/archives

tar: .: time stamp 2015-03-10 16:47:36 is 13037.205365194 s in the future

mint@mint ~ $ sudo apt-get install --no-download bcmwl-kernel-source

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

The following NEW packages will be installed:

bcmwl-kernel-source

0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 0 B/1,104 kB of archives.

After this operation, 4,944 kB of additional disk space will be used.

Selecting previously unselected package bcmwl-kernel-source.

(Reading database ... 160814 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to unpack .../bcmwl-kernel-source_6.30.223.141+bdcom-0ubuntu2_i386.deb ...

Unpacking bcmwl-kernel-source (6.30.223.141+bdcom-0ubuntu2) ...

Setting up bcmwl-kernel-source (6.30.223.141+bdcom-0ubuntu2) ...

Loading new bcmwl-6.30.223.141+bdcom DKMS files...

First Installation: checking all kernels...

Building only for 3.13.0-24-generic

Building for architecture i686

Building initial module for 3.13.0-24-generic

Done.

wl:

Running module version sanity check.

- Original module

- No original module exists within this kernel

- Installation

- Installing to /lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic/updates/

depmod...............

DKMS: install completed.

Segmentation fault

update-initramfs is disabled since running on read-only media

mint@mint ~ $ sudo apt-get install --no-download linux-firmware-nonfree

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

The following NEW packages will be installed:

linux-firmware-nonfree

0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 0 B/3,943 kB of archives.

After this operation, 8,982 kB of additional disk space will be used.

Selecting previously unselected package linux-firmware-nonfree.

(Reading database ... 160881 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to unpack .../linux-firmware-nonfree_1.14ubuntu1_all.deb ...

Unpacking linux-firmware-nonfree (1.14ubuntu1) ...

Setting up linux-firmware-nonfree (1.14ubuntu1) ...

mint@mint ~ $ sudo apt-get clean

Edited by pcpunk, 10 March 2015 - 04:31 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:07 PM

Can't even install Mate to this laptop?  The installer just kept running and the dialogue box showed nothing, and, the fan was running on High? the whole time 1hr 45min.  Maybe I should try and run something else.  I have contemplated that the current XP-Acer partitions are causing me issues, but that is just an uneducated guess.  I also tried a puppy tahr6.0 on another install of xp, with this pc but the same issue.  I searched for something that would work but there is a lot of info out there I  don't understand, and apparently not much support for this particular pc.

I'm not sure what's going on there. How far into the installer did you get, or was just blank from the beginning?

I completed all this and it went well!

You got Mint to install, or you're running as a live-dvd?

unsure why you present this as it was done at the start?  9. (Optional) In the terminal type "sudo apt-get clean".

The first time you run the command is on the live-dvd that is used to download the packages; the purpose being to make sure that you'll only be backing up the driver related packages. Step 9 is optional, because running the command again is not required for your objective of installing the driver packages. Some people like to flush their apt cache after installing packages, other people don't. For all I know you might have other packages in your cache you don't want erased. I included the step, in case you wanted to.

Would it not be best to "clean" the old stuff out so that the OS don't try to use it?

By default apt will always use the latest version of the package it has access to. After updating your package list, if new packages were available, and you ran "sudo apt-get install the-package-name" the newer version would be downloaded and used, even if you already have the old version in your cache. If no new versions were available then apt would just use the version you've already got without re-downloading it.

this did not work, I will leave my Terminal outcome here

According to your output the packages did install successfully. As mentioned in my earlier post, when using live-media you might not be able to use the drivers as they might require a reboot to load them into the kernel. If you are having troubles then that is likely the cause, as it by your terminal output it appears you are installing on a live-dvd not a normal Mint installation. You won't have that issue with a normal installation. I take it you've still not been able to install Mint on this computer?

I see where it says this: "Segmentation fault update-initramfs is disabled since running on read-only media"  I'm guessing this is the issue.    

That just means it's trying to update your initial ramdisk, which is common when installing drivers. The packages are installed, but because you're running from a live-dvd it can't create a new initial ramdisk that tells the system to load the drivers at boot. This issue won't occur on a normal installation.

#11 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:11 PM

Maybe im completely wrong as I have little experience with Ubuntu based Distros...  but would it be possible to get online with the live disc.. then mount and Chroot into the system from that..then install the packages...  heres a clue  how to do it for ARCH linux

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/111406/install-drivers-offline-arch-linux

Check your Partitions and check you have enough room on the partition you are installing to ... you wouldn't be the first person to try installing an OS onto the boot or swap partition

The high fan speed could be some graphics driver issue...some AMD graphics machines dont always run so good without propriety drivers (catalyst) similarly some Hybrid  machines..with dual graphics cards...

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,241 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

but would it be possible to get online with the live disc.. then mount and Chroot into the system from that..then install the packages

Do you mean use something like Puppy Linux Live to get online download the tar ball file and save it to hard drive and then  reboot into Mint and install the software? As long as he gets the right driver from the manufacturers site  it should work.

Edited by NickAu, 10 March 2015 - 10:59 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#13 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:37 AM

edit - sorry, multiple post, my internet is acting up.

Edited by hollowface, 11 March 2015 - 01:42 AM.

#14 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:38 AM

delete - sorry, multiple post, my internet is acting up.

Edited by hollowface, 11 March 2015 - 01:41 AM.

#15 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:39 AM

@shadow-warrior

would it be possible to get online with the live disc.. then mount and Chroot into the system from that..then install the packages

pcpunk is using a live-cd (on another computer) to download the packages. He doesn't yet have an installation to install the packages on (due to Linux Mint installer issues), and once he does it would probably be easier just to boot the installation natively and install the packages normally, regardless of whether he downloads the packages via apt-get (which he has done) or from the manufacterer website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users