Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Graphics Card API Wars of 2015 Nvidia / AMD? Dx12 / Mantle

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Poll: Which Graphics Card do You Use? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

I have an AMD 7k+ R9 or NEXT for MANTLE

1. AMD 7000+ (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. R9 (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Some other Graphics Core NEXT card with Kaveri GPU/APU (0 votes [0.00%])

I use Nvidia for Direct X 11 - 12/OpenGL

1. Maxwell, Kepler and Fermi-based Nvidia GPU (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Some other DX 11 compatible Nvidia GPU (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:03 PM

With the advent of Windows 10 just around the corner, and support for Direct X12; I thought it would be interesting to see how many of us currently or will support which technology.  Mantle or Dx12

Direct X12

Currently any video card capable of running direct X11 should support DX12.  What is interesting about this technology is that it currently supports a vast amount of current and previous video card technology.  Unlike Mantle, Direct X is cross GPU compliant.  In other words currently if you have a Nvidia or AMD based graphics card that supports Dx11, then you should be good to go when it comes to supporting DX12. 

Mantle

Mantle is AMD's iteration of DX12.  Although I would be remise if I didn't at least mention that without AMD's Mantle, DX12 might still be on the drawing board; currently you would HAVE to have a AMD graphics card to support mantle and then it would need to be one of the newer R7000+ R9/Graphics Core Next technology graphics cards.

Personally I think AMD kinda dropped the ball with Mantle and although their current performance has tested faster than DX 12, (currently) You would need an AMD based card to utilize the technology. 

I considered Posting this in the Gaming forum but DX and OpenGL and Mantle are not just for gaming.  Other programs use DX and the like to hook on to the video for things like streaming and capture.  Graphics programs use the same like Maya and Sony Vegas and AutoDesk.

Because Direct X is more independent (it works with AMD or Nvidia Cards).  I think programmers would want their programs to run on as many different pc configurations as possible.  I wonder if Mantle will really take off as an API or will most people stick with DirectX.  I think this poll will be a good indicator for people wondering the same.  I am also curious to know what YOU think.

Thanks for reading and posting to the poll I am hoping to get a lot of responses~ Yeah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users