Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Picking A Cheap Video Card

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:57 AM

Hello All,

Well I am real happy with my first build, but I was thinking of adding a cheap video card. I am happy with my video performance now, I don't play any games or anything although I do edit some high def video and I do have a Blu Ray player in my system. For a cheap video card I was considering these:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=01g-p3-1302-lr

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130815

I have an Asus Z 97A motherboard and a Raidmax Z ATX-502 WBR, Mid Tower. Would either one of these video cards give me an improvement in video quality? I am open to suggestions, my budget is about $75. Thanks in advance.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:50 PM

Honestly just about any discreet video card is going to give you an improvement over onboard graphics.  I think the GTX 550 TI is within your price range and better than both the cards you  suggested.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

Honestly just about any discreet video card is going to give you an improvement over onboard graphics.  I think the GTX 550 TI is within your price range and better than both the cards you  suggested.

Thanks. Looks like it is out of stock at Amazon, but I will check Newegg. How about this one;

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-11216-00-20G/dp/B00DR3M050/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1425742188&sr=1-5&keywords=graphics+card

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:55 PM

It is out of stock at Newegg as well and kind of expensive on ebay. Is there any other good cards that are not discontinued?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:01 PM

Since a PNY was recommended, how about this one;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133542

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:31 PM

Yes that looks like a good card for the price the Radeon you posted is better than that pny .. unfortunately once you get under the sub 100.. price range its just not worth it for vendors to carry the card. LoL ..the Radeon you posted has double the bandwidth so it will be better than the pny 730

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:13 PM

Thanks. I was leaning towards the PNY 730 because of the DTS HDMaster Audio and a couple of other things, but I will definitely look closer at the Radeon.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:31 PM

Yes that looks like a good card for the price the Radeon you posted is better than that pny .. unfortunately once you get under the sub 100.. price range its just not worth it for vendors to carry the card. LoL ..the Radeon you posted has double the bandwidth so it will be better than the pny 730

I went to Sapphire site and I think I am sold. Thanks.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:49 PM

Will my motherboard support the Radeon video card?

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97A/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:15 PM

Yes sorry I was creating a post it will work .. whats your power supply wattage? Thats a really nice mainboard too.. how do you like the crystalsound that comes out of it.. is it that good?  Do you have good enough headset or speakers that take it for good advantage?

Edited by YeahBleeping, 07 March 2015 - 04:27 PM.

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:12 AM

Yes sorry I was creating a post it will work .. whats your power supply wattage? Thats a really nice mainboard too.. how do you like the crystalsound that comes out of it.. is it that good?  Do you have good enough headset or speakers that take it for good advantage?

Thanks for the input. I have a 750 watt Bronze, so I think I am OK in that dept. The reason that I was concerned is because the Sapphire website indicates that this graphics card uses PCI Express 3.0, and I wasn't sure that my card handles that.

As far as the audio, I am an audiophile so I do not use the onboard sound capabilities at all. My desktop stereo consists of PSB Alpha speakers driven by a Marantz amplifier which is fed by a USB DAC like this one;

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HiFiComponents&SubCatId=0&ProductId=HDDAC1

I run my computer audio system in the WASAPI mode, like this; https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd371455(v=vs.85).aspx  I have about 7 terabytes of high fidelity music on my computer which I use as a music server.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users