Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus (total security) I should be using for Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shivashish

Shivashish

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:28 AM

I have been using Quick heal total security for my desktop computer. I don't think I got infected with viruses anytime during usage. I wanted to consult bleepingcomputer to know which antivirus is best from cost-effective point of view. I want to balance cost factor and efficiency factor. Please let me know.

Edited by hamluis, 07 March 2015 - 07:43 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:16 AM

Hello there,

There is no "one size fit all" AV solution - ultimately it boils down to personal preference.

The most important factor in security is common sense. Please read this: Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure online

If you would be kind and give us some information, we can choose one that suits you.

- Hardware specs?

- Free or paid solution?

- What do you use the machine for?

- Do you have any special needs (speed, stability etc.)

There is a suitable AV solution for everyone - we just need to find the one that suits us.

Regards,
Alex

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:37 AM

Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. if thing about changing your anti-virus, you may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. Please read:My personal recommendation is ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also a good choice for the same reason and so is Kaspersky Anti-virus.

Also keep in mind that an anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers).

500xNxeam_pup_728x574_en.png.pagespeed.i
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users