Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting around outlook 2013's innability to only download headers in IMAP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:28 AM

So i have been doing some research ever since reluctantly upgrading to office 2013. for the most part the process was painless save for a few minor tweaks the old outlook settings and all my data was picked up seamlessly by the new application.

my problem is that the new version cannot be set to only download message headers in IMAP and worse yet if you use the slider to limit offline data to 3 months or so there is literally no way i have found to locate older archived messages on the server short of directly logging into gmail or downloading years worth of messages in full just to find a single item.

so my main question is this.  would it be possible to write a COM Add-In for Outlook 2013 that forces the old header only behavior or if the feature was completely removed replaces it all together ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:38 PM

The ability to download headers only is available in 2013 only with POP and Exchange accounts. http://www.outlook-apps.com/download-headers-only/

I'm not aware of any add-ins that will enable this behavior.

#3 mikeloeven

mikeloeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:53 PM

i was just wondering since you can do some pretty complex things with com addons i actually have a nice one that intercepts the X button and minimizes to the tray rather than quitting the client something that had always annoyed me but was fixed by a small dll

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:06 PM

If it were possible, I suspect it would take more than a COM add on. That behavior is worked into the application code, and how Outlook 2013 interacts with the server. Not sure how that would even be possible...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users