Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Will not mount in new computer.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 luhseps

luhseps

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

Hello.

I used to have a little gaming computer:
intel core i5 4690k
16GB RAM
GTX 980
250GB Samsung 840 SSD (running the OS)
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (for data)

I rebuild this computer, new motherboard and all...
intel core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 RAM
GTX 980
512GB Samsung 850 Pro (running the OS)
2TB Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB (it suffers from clicking so Ill be replacing it)

Now heres the problem...
I can get and view files from the Samsung 840 SSD using a USB to Sata cable.
But I cannot get the 1TB Wester Digital Caviar Black one to mount or read data.
It shows up in "My computer" (drive letter F:\)
But no data bar or name, just "Removable Disk"
The drive is functioning perfectly. Worked fine in the old computer up until I plugged it into my new computer with a Sata to USB cable.

I have so much data on that drive that I cannot live without. I do backups but there is new data that I cannot afford to loose.

My life is on that drive, sounds over the top but from the start of my computing life, everything is on it.

Please please help me.

I've tried so many tools like EASEus, USB Device Viewer, Get Data Back and so many things.

I have no money for data recovery... of course, I spent it all on the new computer.

I feel so stupid for not doing a backup of that drive before I built the new PC.

Tomorrow (Because its midnight here)
I will put back together my old PC and see if I can read the data from it like that.

If anyone has an answer just tell me. I am so desperate Im nearly in tears.

drive.png
drive2.png

Pictures provided.

I will be so thankful if anyone can help.
Please.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 luhseps

luhseps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

Heres me showing that it does actually detect the hard drive via USB but wont mount and no software I've used can read from it.

Attached Files

Edited by luhseps, 06 March 2015 - 07:02 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

What type of adapter are you using? If the 1TB drive is 3.5 you will need a power brick to power the adapter. A 2.5 drive can run off USB power alone. Can you attach the 1TB drive internally to your new computer? Take out the 2TB drive that is defective and replace it with the WD.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 March 2015 - 07:44 PM.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:51 PM

What operating system was on the old computer and what is now on the new computer You may have to take ownership of the drive.

#5 luhseps

luhseps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:41 AM

What type of adapter are you using? If the 1TB drive is 3.5 you will need a power brick to power the adapter. A 2.5 drive can run off USB power alone. Can you attach the 1TB drive internally to your new computer? Take out the 2TB drive that is defective and replace it with the WD.

Hmm... I will try a higher powered adapter. (The drive does spin up and sound normal when plugged in using USB)
But I dont think this would do anything because I tried plugging it internally and it was the exact same...
I have tried just about every combo.
I've taken the 2TB out and tried the 1TB but it acts as if it was plugged in via USB

#6 luhseps

luhseps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:43 AM

What operating system was on the old computer and what is now on the new computer You may have to take ownership of the drive.

The operating system on the old pc was Windows 7 Ultimate and the OS on the new PC is Windows 7 Ultimate.
How would I take ownership of the drive?.. I've never heard that to be a problem... but again, I dont have high hopes because it says "You need to format drive F:\ Before you can use it" when I plug it in.
And there is no way in hell am I formatting anything.

#7 luhseps

luhseps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:55 AM

As you  can see, I cannot take ownership of the device as there is no "Security" tab.

Really need help...

drive_4.png

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:23 AM

I would see if it mounts in linux. Download Puppy linux tahrpup v6. Burn the iso file. Boot to the Puppy desktop and look in the lower left. You will see your hard drives labeled sda, sdb,sdc and so on. There will be number suffixes for every lettered drive depending on how many partitions each have. sda1...sda2... and so on. The 1TB drive would probably be labeled sdb if you are using two internal drives and the optical drive sdc but it may be different. Click once on the drive and Puppy should mount it and the File Manager will open. If Puppy does not mount it then I would think there could be a possible issue with the PCB of the drive.

If you click once on the SDD drive, it should also mount and another File Manager window will open. Highlight the files by windowing around them or by left clicking and holding the Ctrl key. Left click and drag files from the 1TB drive to the SDD. A small dialog window will open asking if you want to copy or move. Select copy and check the Quiet box. You can then copy them from the SSD to another portable drive or to the cloud. If you attached a portable drive to Puppy a USB icon will appear in the left next to the optical drive. You can open it with one click and and then copy files to it.

Note: If you are using a Power Adapter with the USB adapter then substituting another will not work. Some adapters only use USB to power the drives. This will work on laptop drives but you need the Power Brick for 3.5 drives.

#9 luhseps

luhseps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

I have ordered a powered USB to Sata cable.

I will try the Puppy linux now and post results.

If this works I will personally come to your house and hug you! :D

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2015 - 01:38 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#10 luhseps

luhseps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:23 PM

I would like to thank you for the advice but I couldnt get puppy Linux to work. 

I was however able to get the old SSD and Hard drive to work together in the Old computer.

I pulled the files I needed off and put them on another hard drive.

Thank you all for the suggestions :)

Right... Now how do I close this topic / thread / question?

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2015 - 01:36 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:44 PM

I am glad you got your data back. BC usually does not close a thread. I would like to ask one question. Did you password protect the drive in the old computer? That could cause the issue of reading it in the new computer.

If this data is as important to you as you say, I would copy it to another drive and store it off site or at least save your most important data to the cloud and encrypt the personal data you do not want shared.

#12 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

Drives do that all the time

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#13 luhseps

luhseps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:45 PM

The computer was password protected but I did not use any encryption/protection service like Windows Bitlocker (I've had bad experiences with that in the past)

The hard drive only seemed to want to work as long as the SSD it was built with was there too. That really worries me that if one of my drives fail then the hard drive wont work. (The SSD worked fine)

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2015 - 01:38 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for the update. That is interesting. I have never heard of a Hard Drive not being able to be accessed unless it was paired with another driver. Was the old computer set up as RAID? If the comptuter was password protected via BIOS and the password was for the Hard drive then I can see that being a problem. I remember a person who could not install the OS on a drive he removed from a laptop. It turns out that he password protected the hard drive in BIOS and had to put it back in the laptop and remove the password before he was able to install the OS when it was placed in the new computer otherwise the drive was not accessible.

If as you say your life is on the drive, I would definitely look at backing up to another source.

#15 luhseps

luhseps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:27 PM

No I did not password protect it in the BIOS.

The hard drive has belonged to me for its entire life so I know the history.
It has not been used in RAID. Obvious a 250GB SSD and a 1TB HDD wont work together in RAID xD

I really have no idea what caused this...

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2015 - 01:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users