Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C Drive Space Needed, What Can I Transfer to D Drive Safely?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 trheyer

trheyer

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:06 PM

Summary: C drive on HP EliteBook 8470p is at 4GB free out of a total of 271GB.  I have to "dump" some stuff into my empty D drive. When I see my C drive, I don't have any large documents, pics or games; just "stuff". I want to off load 10-15GB, but am not certain what is safe to move.

My question: what types of files/programs can I (should I) move from C to D? For example, can I cut/paste say all the items under Program Files & Program Files (x86) into the D?  I have about 180GB free on D now.

Attached screenshot, below.

Thanks. trheyer

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:09 PM

Hi trheyer :)

You cannot simply "copy and paste" files and folders for programs from one location to another, since they are most likely linked in the Registry and you would just end up breaking the program and you would have to reinstall it as well. Let's see how's your space taken. Download and install WinDirStat:

https://windirstat.info/

Let it scan your whole C: drive and once it's done, make sure the window is fully maximized, take a screenshot of it and attach it in your next reply.

mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Once done, attach that screenshot to your next reply;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 trheyer

trheyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:20 PM

Aura, thank you very much for the heads up on this program and how to use it. I have NOT attached the screen shot as requested. The forum has a low threshold for sizes for uploading. When I get back later, I will take the PNG files & try and downsize them then post. I have 2 screenshots for you.

Let me know what is next. I have Friday nite rituals with the kids tonight, but will be back at this tomorrow.  

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:21 PM

If you want, you can upload these pictures on imgur.com and post their links here, way easier.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 trheyer

trheyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

OK, converted PNG to JPG and I think these will post.  Thanks Aura.  

OK, only one posted. Will try the other later.

Attached Files

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:28 PM

It looks like you have 204GB stored in your userprofile, Tim.Heyer. Continue opening the folders until you reach the ones with a lot of files in them that take a lot of space, and see if you need them or not.

unite_blue.png

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:28 PM

In short, you do not want to reInstall programs that normally go into Program Files & Program Files (86).  Perhaps, set up data directories in your d-partition, and move all your data files out of My Documents [not the folders! just the files] & into your d-partition.  In the long run, when considering your long term partition images, OS & programs [c-drive] backups, data [d-drive] backups, IF/WHEN RESTORED, will not cost you lost data.  Considering user appdata local & roaming directories -- suggest you not moving these either.

Edited by RolandJS, 06 March 2015 - 04:29 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:29 PM

It's better to do a folder redirection of these folders on the data drive, rather than just move them everytime. Personally, all "My Documents", "My Pictures", "My Videos", "My Music", and "Downloads" files are located on my D: drive, from a redirection on their original folders located on the C: drive.

unite_blue.png

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:31 PM

Refresh my memory, how is the redirection done?  I'd like to learn from you.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:32 PM

Here's a Microsoft article explaining how to do so:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/redirect-folder-new-location#1TC=windows-7

Takes 30 seconds to create a new folder and redirect an existing one to it.

unite_blue.png

#11 trheyer

trheyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:58 PM

Aura, I posted 3 screen shots at Imgur. How do you access them?  My user name there is "trheyer".  They are not published yet. Waiting for imgur to officially accept me as a member.

Also, I see that "Pictures" occupies about 70%+ of the C drive.  But, the funny thing is that it's sitting under my "One Drive" folder. Isn't One Drive supposed to be Cloud driven? Why would that be taking up space on my C drive? The whole concept of me putting pics there is to be OFF the C drive. Let me know. Thanks.

Edited by trheyer, 06 March 2015 - 06:03 PM.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:23 PM

If you synchronize the content of OneDrive locally, it will also take space on your system. You have to disable OneDrive and delete the local content in order to remove the used space. Also, would you like to redirect all your "files" folders to the other drive like I explained above?

unite_blue.png

#13 trheyer

trheyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

Aura, long weekend for me. No rest for the wicked. In Charlotte NC, we finally had 65+ temps & sun. A true rarity this winter.

1. I solved the puzzle. I deleted everything i could on C drive. I moved every picture, video, WMV, etc over to D drive. I ran a defrag and then CC Cleaner & Recuva. Shiny clean.  I called HP and they took control of my PC, went through and tweaked all sorts of drivers/adapters, etc. I went from having 4GB free out of 271GB to now having 105GB free. D drive is booked up, but hey, that's what's it's for.

2.  "Win Key + R to open the Run box". OMG, thanks for that tip Aura. I can't believe I haved lived to age 47 and not picked up this gem.  Very helpful and quick. My two sons (10 & 12) also love it. With the goofball schools now a days, there's no more books. So they have to go on line and read them. They liked how you can cut pieces of the page out, not the whole page. Thanks again.

3. imgur. The reason I couldn't post on Fri PM was because I didnt have the imgur authenticater to validate my membership. It was in the junk box. Just found it today, so I am a member there now. Very cool site. Thanks for that.

4. Re-direction of files/folders from C>D drive. Definitely would like to do this. Let me know when you intend to post. Thanks again. Life saver man. 

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

No problem trheyer :) Alright, on your D: drive, I want you to create a folder with your username and in that folder, you'll create 5 other folders:
  • Documents;
  • Pictures;
  • Music;
  • Videos;
  • Downloads;
Let me know once this is done.

unite_blue.png

#15 trheyer

trheyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

Aura, what "user name"? The one on my laptop or the network one from HP?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users