Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet connection after Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 baffled251

baffled251

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:55 PM

Hello!

I have a small 2GB Toshiba notebook that I bought used about a year ago and has never given me any problems until last week when Windows performed one of its automatic updates. After the computer restarted itself, everything was completely normal except one thing: the system fails to detect any network! All our other computers are running on this network just fine, and I am using another laptop right now with no problem.

Just to be clear, the bars on the bottom that indicate connection to a network are crossed out in red. When I mouse over it it says Not connected - No connections are available.

Troubleshooting detected this:

"Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings."

In more detail it said this:

"Failed to connect to a windows service.

Windows could not connect tothe System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents standard users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond."

I do not know where such a log would be found.

Also, System Restore, my secred weapon, did not work either.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 baffled251

baffled251
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:05 PM

Really, guys? 71 views and no reply whatsoever? Nobody has any idea what could be wrong? :bounce:

#3 NotAnElf

NotAnElf

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:18 PM

Did you perform the system restore to a point before the update was installed? Also do you know which Windows update was installed that caused the issue?

#4 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:54 PM

Hello,

Please go Here and download MiniToolBox and save this file to your desktop.

Go to your desktop and launch MiniToolBox.exe - > Select the following options:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of HOSTS
  • List IP Configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • Last Event log events

Press Go

Once finished a notepad file called Result.txt will open. Please post the contents back into this thread.

#5 baffled251

baffled251
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

Go the Power - I am confused, sorry. Do you mean to say I should download the mini toolbox to the laptop I am using right now? How is this going to help with diagnostics in laptop that isn't connected to anything anymore? Wouldn't the toolbox have to go into that computer? :mellow:

NotAnElf - yes, I did a System Restore for a previous date, a day or two prior. When that didn't work I tried others further back, but to no avail.

I don't know which Windows Update it was. I can probably look it up if I know where.

#6 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:38 PM

baffled251,

In answer to your question about MiniToolBox, since your laptop with the problem is not able to connect to your network, you will need to download MiniToolBox from another, good computer, and then manually copy/transfer it over to the bad laptop.  (You might try using a USB flashdrive)

You would then run MiniToolBox on the bad computer, then copy the Result.txt file over to your good computer, so you could then post the contents of it in a reply here at BleepingComputer.

Best regards.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users