Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will an external Video card dock work with my Desktop?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TitusRaven26

TitusRaven26

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:31 PM

Hi, I have a desktop and i want to upgrade my video card to the Geforce GTX 970 4gb or something like it. Problem is, that card requires an intel cpu, which means, i would need to get a new cpu, and then a new mobo and pretty much a whole new build. so... i found this online.

http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-p-934367.html

its an external laptop pci graphics card adapter. lets you adapt any video card to your laptop to play high end games (with the bottleneck of your laptops cpu). question is... would this kind of thing work with my desktop so i wouldnt have to buy a whole new computer?

• Windows 7
  • AMD FX-6100
  • Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
  • 16 Gbs Dual Channel DDR3
  • 2048 ATI AMD Radeon HD 7870
  • RAIDMAX HYBRID2 RX-73OSS 73OW

Edited by TitusRaven26, 06 March 2015 - 01:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

You don't need an Intel CPU.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:04 PM

That card does NOT require an Intel CPU .. you can use AMD with it as well .. and just to be sure I chatted with an Nvidia Tech who confirmed this.  Looks like Kilroy beat me to the answer though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users