Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good laptop hardware for putting a linux operating system on, any thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:16 AM

Please can you advise on any particular hardware (laptops not desktops) which are good for putting a linux operating system onto. This would need to be laptops which wouldn't cause trouble with UEFI, secure boot or BIOS when trying to install linux onto it, even better would be laptop types specifically with linux in mind. I think the distribution i would go for is either debian, ubuntu or linux mint. Can you suggest any which fit with this? It would need to be hardware of a type where the process of setting up the linux operating system would be simple, and free of any "command line" processes. A type of hardware where it would be simple to test out all three of those distributions and maybe fedora aswell would be particularly nice. I am looking for fairly cheap hardware, not top of the range stuff, but with decent reliability and lifetime. Please only recommend types which you have known to work, not those which you just suspect should work, I don't want something that self-bricks when i try and load linux.
As for where i would get the hardware I'm looking for either being able to buy in person at a shop in the uk, or with amazon.
Thanks
P.S. I know one can test linux running it as a live OS from a USB, when using linux as a live system can one install extra programs into it (both linux programs and wine and programs running under it) or can you only run it in the settings it comes with until it is actually installed on a machine?
P.S.2. Given the problems which UEFI and secure boot can cause are there any laptops currently being made which can reliably have linux operating systems loaded onto them, or can it only be done on older hardware (pre 2012 manufacture)?

Edited by rp88, 06 March 2015 - 05:12 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

Please, i could really use some advce for this. I ask because my current machine is living through it's last days, i can feel the hardware dying hour by hour, and i'm looking to get a linux machine when i replace it. I know there can be difficulties with trying to load linux on "any old hardware" so i want to make sure i get something which it will work well with. Thank You

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:22 PM

Okay well I am not sure where you got the information that Linux doesn't play well with old hardware.  Fact is Linux played better with old hardware than windows did.  So.  I would say anything you can afford.  Of course I wouldn't get a macbook or anything Apple and expect to put linux on it.  But since I am not a linux pro maybe it will good on a mac.  I am not sure.  Maybe the Linux pros will come and post.  Or maybe you could post your question on the forums of whichever Linux ' flavor ' you plan on installing.

#4 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for that, but to clarify i said i expected problems would occur on newer machines (those with uefi) and i thought older machines (those with bios) mgith be better. I know it works well on older hardware but older hardware is remarkably tricky to find in anything but a "used" state, thats why i'm wondering if there are any particular examples of modern hardware which work well for "dual booting" purposes of having a linux system alongside a windows one and selecting which to go into each time you boot up. The shops round me only sell fairly recently released hardware types preloaded with windows 8 or 8.1 operating systems, so i need to know which types of hardware don't have problems with secure boot or other uefi features when a user tries to load a linux OS on them. thanks

Edited by rp88, 08 March 2015 - 02:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users