Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot re-install Windows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:04 AM

I have a program called Tweaking.Com, it has an option to run Chkdsk at boot. Last time I

rebooted the program got to 10% than stopped, tried rebooting several times and no change.

Tried to reset to factory by using my Win 7 disk(I used this disk on this computer several

times in the past as the F9 key does not reset to factory), When the disk is finished the

installation I get an error message, "Computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an

unexpected error. To install windows click OK and restart". This just keeps repeating , will

not install. Any help greatly appreciated. Compute is a HP6142, i3, 650HD, 8G Ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:37 AM

I would suspect the hard drive is the problem and confirm/refute that by running a hard drive diagnostic on it.  Although several diagnostics could be used, I would use the SeaTools for DOS diagnostic, which makes the fact that the drive doesn't boot...meaningless.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:47 AM

Just so you know durkinjt, a chkdsk scan doesn't "stop". It's a very lenghty scan that can take hours to complete, even one or two days. It's not because it doesn't move that it's "stuck" or "frozen". All you have to do is to give it time and it'll complete. Hence why I suggest to run a chkdsk scan overnight when you have to, or when you are at work all day long. Interrupting a chkdsk scan can only damage your hard drive and you don't want that.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:07 PM

My experience is...chkdsk /r will post an onscreen error message if it cannot continue or is unable to otherwise complete its process.  Lacking such an onscreen message, then chkdsk /r has not stopped, it's just running into problems that were unanticipated and that it slowly overcomes (if possible).

Louis

#5 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:38 PM

My experience is...chkdsk /r will post an onscreen error message if it cannot continue or is unable to otherwise complete its process.  Lacking such an onscreen message, then chkdsk /r has not stopped, it's just running into problems that were unanticipated and that it slowly overcomes (if possible).

Louis

Thanks to all, I am probably at fault, had no idea it took that long, I only let it run for about 1/2 Hr. Will try an all nighter.  Will let you know how it turns out

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:00 PM

Also durkinjt, once the check disk operation is complete, you can go grab the log in the Event Viewer and post it here for us so we can check.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/96938-check-disk-chkdsk-read-event-viewer-log.html

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users