Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP EliteBook Consuming Too Much WiFi? Help Me Here...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trheyer

trheyer

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:23 AM

I have had issues for a month with my HP EliteBook on my home network. I use Windstream as a service provider and they have come out on 3 separate occasions in one month. They tell me that my work laptop is consuming "too much WiFi" and not allowing for other devices to work.  We did a lot of studies/tests and it actually looks like it is the case. We turned on everything in the house, except my laptop. The system and speedtests were great, wonderful numbers. Then, we turn on my laptop and the numbers drop to the point where devices won't load.  Then we turn off all other devices and leave my laptop on, it's back to terrible results. Here are the results of when my laptop is on:

Ping = 2232 Upload: 0.02 Download: 0.12

From June 14' thru Feb 15' it worked well. Now it's not. Is there a virus that can affect this part of the system?

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Would appreciate your opinions / ideas. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

Have you done anything to try to correct it? Does it do it if you are hooked up wired? The first thing I always do is uninstall the wireless in device manager and reboot. You can also look on the manufactures web site of the wireless for updated drivers, HP might have them but check the manu site as well. If they have updated drivers, try installing them. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 trheyer

trheyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:50 PM

Dweller, thanks for asking.  This is how ironic and $hitty life can be at the same time. I own an HP EliteBook & I work for HP as well. Yet, when I call into my own companies I/T help desk (in Bangalore), they tell me that I can probably "fix the problem quicker using Google and forums/boards".  Ahhh America.

Anyhow, to answer your query, yes I have tried some things since 9am EST today.  I reset all of my adapters, every one I could find. I went out and downloaded every driver, or re-downloaded them.  I did a defrag on the machine. I ran some diagnostic tools from HP on several areas.  I learned more about Intel than I ever wished to.  Not much happened.

Then I came upon a 2010 forum posting that looked like it may make sense. You go: network adaptors > right click on your wifi adaptor > select advance tab > highlight the 2.4ghz area > see selection box > change whatever value is there to "AUTO".  This worked. Not 100%. But close.  I called a local PC shop in Charlotte, NC and they said they will replace the card for free next Monday.  That's all I can do.

BTW, this issue of drawing 200% more juice is on both the ethernet connection & WiFi.  

I will keep you posted. Thanks and have a great weekend sir/madam. trheyer

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:14 PM

I'ma dude but not a sir lol. Try opening an elevated command prompt - click windows button, type cmd, in the list right click cmd and click run as Admin. 

then type  

netsh winsock reset catalog and hit enter

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and hit enter

then reboot. See what happens.  If that doesn't work. I think I'd back up the crap on it and do a complete OS restore. If it was just wifi or wired I'd say ok something is messed up with the card but it's both? that seems like something a bit deeper. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 trheyer

trheyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:03 PM

Dweller, point taken. It's my good Southern upbringing that gets the best of me.

I agree with you, it may well be something deeper. But that's for the Indian nation to figure out, not mere mortals.

I will try your solution and report back this weekend. Appreciate the kind words and promptness.  If I don't hear from you tonight/vice versa; have a great weekend.

trheyer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users