Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"XFinity Internet Service Reminder"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 garfieldcfc

garfieldcfc

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

I keep seeing this message on a bunch of difrerent browser tabs:

"XFINITY Internet Service Reminder

Dear Comcast Customer,

We recently shipped you a new cable modem. To avoid any service interruptions, it is important that you swap your existing cable modem with the Self Install Kit (SIK) that was mailed to you.
If you have not received a new modem, you can have a replacement modem sent to you for no additional charge with an easy and convenient self-installation kit. Please visit us at https://www.comcast.com/deviceupgrade and follow the instructions provided.
Once you receive your self-installation kit, please return your old modem using the return label that is included inside the kit.
Thank you for your time."

I am not entirely sure what caused it, but it keeps popping up on different windows, not even all browser tabs. It pops up in Steam when I go to anything in the Community as well. It doesn't open on all browser tabs, like the posting topic forum here, but It pops up in the main sections of this site. I did a scan with AdwCleaner and hopefully that will fix some things. I'll post the log here after I restart.

AdwCleaner log:
# AdwCleaner v4.111 - Logfile created 06/03/2015 at 08:11:37
# Updated 18/02/2015 by Xplode
# Database : 2015-03-05.1 [Server]
# Operating system : Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (x64)
# Username : Chandler - INTELI7-3770K
# Running from : C:\Users\Chandler\Downloads\adwcleaner_4.111.exe
# Option : Scan

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

***** [ Scheduled tasks ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

Data Found : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings [ProxyOverride] - *.local
Key Found : HKCU\Software\Google\Chrome\Extensions\bmkckgpgekmanipelfidlhmkfcjicion
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.protectorbho
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.protectorbho.1

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.17631

-\\ Google Chrome v40.0.2214.115

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [2848 bytes] - [02/01/2015 22:41:30]
AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [881 bytes] - [03/01/2015 22:22:07]
AdwCleaner[R2].txt - [940 bytes] - [06/01/2015 15:44:36]
AdwCleaner[R3].txt - [1059 bytes] - [07/01/2015 13:48:27]
AdwCleaner[R4].txt - [1177 bytes] - [06/03/2015 08:11:37]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [2862 bytes] - [02/01/2015 22:48:29]
AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [1000 bytes] - [06/01/2015 15:45:47]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[R4].txt - [1354 bytes] ##########

EDIT: AdwCleaner didn't fix the problem, I've noticed 2 programs called "Nuance PDF Viewer Plus" and "Nuance PaperPort 12" installed on my computer. I have no idea what they are or where they came from.

Edited by garfieldcfc, 06 March 2015 - 10:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:42 AM

Hello garfieldcfc.

First, I want to say that you should continue in this topic for possbible malware, just in case it is present on your computer.

Next, I am a frequent contributor to the Comcast Help Forums. As far as I can recall I have not seen anyone mention the modem message you have posted. I have no clue if that is legit or not.

While waiting for help here I suggest you post in the Comcast Help Forum about the message you are receiving. Supply only the message, do not include scan logs or anything related to possible malware.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the Posting Guidelines. The link is on the top right hand side of the page.

Then choose the appropriate board to post in.

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save.

DO NOT USE THE UNSUBSCRIBE LINK IN THE REPLY NOTIFICATION EMAIL. Due to a quirk with Lithium, the forum provider, if you use the link it severs the connection between your forum user name and the email address you sign in with.

Result: your forum account no longer exists in the database and it tells you that you are banned.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites/bookmarks. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

If you choose to post there, please let me know-I will need the link to your post so I make sure that an official employee will respond to it to let you know if this is a legitimate message from Comcast. If it is, they sure picked a strange way to let you know about this.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 March 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#3 garfieldcfc

garfieldcfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:15 PM

It seems to not be showing up anymore. Didn't replace my router or anything, so -shrug-

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:34 PM

I've noticed 2 programs called "Nuance PDF Viewer Plus" and "Nuance PaperPort 12" installed on my computer. I have no idea what they are or where they came from.

Nuance PDF Viewer Plus
Nuance PaperPort 12

The correct way to remove most programs is from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel, so always check there first. In most cases, using the uninstaller of the software not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings. Important! Reboot when done and delete the Program folder if it still exists.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo provides a listing of all installed software by installation date and when removing a program, Revo does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 garfieldcfc

garfieldcfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:24 AM

A message came up telling me that I needed to close applications before I uninstalled Nuance PaperPort 12. The listed applications were

"Acresso Software Manager Agent"

"Acresso Software Manager"

and "PDFProFiltSrvPP"

I don't know where these would have come from, or why they are on my computer in the first place. The last one sounds super fishy.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:22 AM

Check Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel for them as well. If found, just uninstall them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users