Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tune-up programs....Friend or foe?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:05 AM

For the last few months I have been running a background program called 'Boost'....I think I even downloaded it from here somewhere. But I kinda started to suspect it might be doing more harm than good when I read the other evening within these forums that these sort of PC-cleaning programs have the potential to cause catastrophic registry errors and might be harmful in other ways too. 

Also, it seemed like it was constantly telling me my PC was needing a 'boost' every 15 mins or so, and stranger still, it would ONLY rate the current performance of my PC at any ONE of several values (in percent terms) between (obviously!) 9 - 100%.....the lowest being 9%. What I am trying to say is that the lowest value it would ever rate it as was 9%, and other results would be incremental....like 14%, 26%, 43%, 62% and so on up to 100%. It would only show certain values - never anything in between those values. Maybe I am looking too much into things, but this to me suggested that the program MIGHT be fake, although I would be surprised if any such fake or even malware-containing programs were ever published on these forums?

Ever since removing this program and a couple of others that I felt weren't needed, my pc has responded noticeably better and cooler with less fan intervention.

I am by no means an expert with the technical/mechanical/engineering side of pc's and it's associated software, but reading that de-fragging and registry cleaning has the potential to cause more harm than good - and is not necessary in many cases - kinda shocked me somewhat as I have always performed these tasks religiously, even though I only use my pc for very basic tasks and don't have very much at all stored on it!

Anyone with any thoughts, especially on the validity and worthwhile-ability (for want of a better word! lol) on these so-called pc tune-up programs?

EDIT......Apologies to those more established members who might read this........I have just read more deep into the forum to see that a lot of solid answers are there to what I want to know and that starting a new thread may not have been necessary! But of course, I will keep following this thread and be willing to take on board any comments that are made here! 

Edited by robby501, 06 March 2015 - 10:10 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

These types of junk optimization programs are often bundled with other software you download and most are considered Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) so they may be detected or even removed by some security scanners which specifically look for PUPs and adware. One characteristic of PUPs and other junkware is that they insert themselves (components) into various areas throughout a computer's operation system to include browsers, hidden folders and windows registry making it more difficult to remove.

With most Adware/Junkware/PUPs it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel or an alternative third party uninstaller like Revo. In many cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings.

After uninstallation, then you can run specialized tools like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, AdwCleaner and JRT (Junkware Removal Tool) to fix any remaining entries they may find. These tools typically search for and remove related registry entries, files and folders wherever they hide...to include those within the AppData folder and elsewhere.

*Canned post originally posted by quietman7

My opinion is any program that claims to speed up your system is usually unnecessary. Most of these programs are only around to take your money.

Edited by computerxpds, 06 March 2015 - 10:12 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:15 AM

Thanks! That was a highly comprehensive answer and basically confirms what I suspected all along!

Like I mentioned before, since making my previous post, I had a deeper look into the forum to find some very solid advice and therefore it might have been unnecessary to have made this thread anyway, but thanks for your prompt reply.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

See Aura's debate about it here. My opinion is in there too.

Alex

#5 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:24 AM

Alex

Thanks for this link......

I found all the info contained within it massively helpful! 

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

Alex

Just noticed this thread, thank you for linking mine :P Also, I'll be adding more examples to my canned soon. I should dedicate a whole thread to analyze a such program. Added to my checklist.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:49 AM

Having trouble posting on another forum. (This is a TEST post)

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:50 AM

Robby, you have to use the test section to test such things :)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/35/tests-and-scribbles/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:15 PM

Robby, you have to use the test section to test such things :)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/35/tests-and-scribbles/

OK, thanks for pointing that out....and sorry.

I'm pretty new here....but what a fantastic Site! lol

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:48 PM

Which forum were you not able to post in?

#11 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:09 PM

Which forum were you not able to post in?

Thanks for your concern, QE.

I subsequently discovered it was in a forum which I was not entitled to reply in, The malware/spyware/trojan sub-section under the General Security forum. No problem!!

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:10 PM

Only approved malware removal helpers are authorized to reply to threads there I think, but it's for a good reason :)

unite_blue.png

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:20 PM

The only people who can reply to Malware Removal Logs topics are the topic starter, members of the malware removal team and Bleeping Computer staff moderators and above.

This prevents members from making "me to" or "this is what worked for me" "this is how I fixed it" posts.

We train our own personnel to deal with malware removal in that forum. That guarantees the person receiving help there will ONLY get a trained and proper reply. No guess answers, no dangerous answers.

#14 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:01 AM

Well, I just wanna say a big thank you for everyone involved with this thread who handed out advice on solving PUP issues which I was previously unaware of. 

After siphoning all of them out of my machine as you advised, this pc is running beautifully. 

I guess that these kind of programs can collect in a machine without some folk necessarily being aware of their presence, causing a gradual slowdown in some cases over an extended period of time that might go unnoticed for a while. It's only when you dedicate a bit of time to finding them and removing them do you realize how much performance potential your device REALLY has, something that folk might not have experienced since their device was brand new! 

And there was me thinking I needed to upgrade to an i7 processor (or something similar), saving myself the best part of £500 for a new device!

Thank you, BleepingComputer! I won't be needing to upgrade after all........My little i3 will do me just fine, thanks! 

Edited by robby501, 07 March 2015 - 06:14 AM.

#15 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:18 AM

You are welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

Be safe!

Regards,
Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users