Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EX4 File ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nu2this

nu2this

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:14 AM

Hello,

Trying to open a trading indicator for MT4. The file type is EX4. A message says windows doesn't recognize this file type. This is strange because I think I have been able to open these types of file in the past.

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:21 AM

EXT4 is a linux file system and Windows cannot read it. You will need to boot a live linux disk to access the file and then copy it to your Windows computer. I would recommend Puppy linux as it is a smaller download. Is the file on a USB flash drive? Can you boot from a CD/DVD?

Edit: My mistake. I misread the file as EXT4 when in fact it is EX4. Please disregard the above.

Edit Edit; EX4 is a Metatrader file extension so I would have to assume you received the error because the file is corrupt. Right click the EX4 file, select open with and choose Metatrader to open the file. Does it open?

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 March 2015 - 09:28 AM.

#3 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:38 AM

JohnC,

Thank you,right clicking the file does not offer Metatrader as an option.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:21 AM

If you have Metatrader on the computer, I believe you can choose default program. Click on the down carrot arrow. If you do not see Metatrader there then click the browse button. Browse to the Metatrader.exe file that launches the program.

#5 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:47 PM

Hi,

I'm a little confused.

I do have metatrader on my P.C. but which default program are you referring to?

Where do I find the "carrot" arrow?

As stated above Windows can't open the file. Windows wants to know what program I wish to use to open the file.I am not given the browse option. I am given only two options. Use the web service to find the correct program or select a program from a list of installed programs. I don't have a program on my P.C. to open the file. I thought Windows did this automatically when I double clicked the file.

Any further thoughts?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:12 PM

Right click the EX4 file you wish to open.  You should get a choose default program option in the context menu when you right click the EX4 file. See the steps here starting at step 2. Do you get these options?

#7 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:17 AM

Hi again,

Thanks so much for the link. Was able to apply the instructions and it worked perfectly!!

Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users