Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows can't find cmd.ex, msconfig.exe and regedit.exe

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Avalon60

Avalon60

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

First of all I was asked to post this here , as I originally posted it in the Windows8 forum.

This has just started to happen on my win8.1 machine.

I typed cmd in the search box of the start menu (win8.1), then clicked on it and got a blue band across my monitor saying 'This app cannot run on your PC'
I've never had that before!

So I then right click and select run as Administrator, but then I get another message box telling me that
Windows cannot find
'C:\windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-commandprompt_31bf385ad...\cmd.exe.

For a start cmd.exe is in that location as well as being in the \System32 folder.

I have created 2 shortcuts , 1 for each location, on my desktop an can just click on either and they open up with any errors.

From which location is the correct cmd.exe to use, and why am I getting the said error message.

Also, it is the same scenario when I type msconfig.exe and regedit. After right clicking and run as Admin, Windows can't find, etc etc in the same WnSxS folder.

I have scanned my system with Malwarebytes anti malware, SpyBot S&D,  EEK, and AdwCleaner.

EEK found 3 adware entries , 2 in the registry and 1 under my username folder. AdwCleaner found a few registry entries which were deleted by the program.

I have also done a sfc /scannow, and nothing was amiss.

I am now at a loss at what to do next.

Edited by Avalon60, 06 March 2015 - 08:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:26 PM

Download Windows Repair (All in One) from this site

Install the program then run it.

NOTE 1. In Windows Vista, 7 and 8 right click on the program, click "Run As Administrator".
NOTE 2. Disable your antivirus program before running Windows Repair.

Go to Step 3 and click on Check button next to 1. See If Check Disk Is Needed.
If the tool that the Check Disk is needed click on Do It button next to 2. Check Disk.
In that case make sure you restart computer.

p22012121.gif

Once the above is done go to Step 4 and allow it to run System File Check by clicking on Do It button:

p22012122.gif

Go to Step 5 and under "System Restore" click on Create button:

p22012123.gif

Go to Repairs tab and click Open Repairs button.

p22012124.gif

In next window....
Leave all checkmarks as they're.
Click on Start Repairs button.

p22012126.gif

Post Windows Repair log which is located in the following folder:
64-bit systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs
32-bit systems - C:\Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Avalon60

Avalon60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:40 PM

Sorry for being a bit dim, but how do I attach or post the repair log..

I actually scanned my system with JRT and TDSKiller, and a few other repair/scanning for malware etc tools I have.

I did use the Windows Repair All In One earlier today but I did not leave all the checks there, as in I unchecked some of them.

I think that all is ok now as I just tried with cmd.exe and it opened up ok, as did msconfig and regedit.

I would be interested to know what the cause was of the problem I had.

I'll post the repair log as soon as.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:49 PM

Did things get back to normal after running Windows Repair All In One?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Avalon60

Avalon60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:10 PM

Yes they did all get back to normal, even before I ran the said program again following your instructions. So all is well again.

I'd love to know how it got to that state before, but I suppose that's one of life's little mysteries.

Thanks

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

Gremlins :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 Avalon60

Avalon60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:02 PM

I have just very recently updated my hardware, and this post is suffice to say that the problem I had previously has returned.

I have scanned for malware and spyware using Malware Bytes and Spybot S&D. I have ran Emisofts Emergency Tooltkit 3 times, and have ran the windows repair all in one 3 times, once being in safe mode.

Also I have ran ADW Cleaner, once in Safe Mode and again in Normal Mode

Each program now shows no malware or spyware anywhere on my system.

Each time I try to open cmd, msconfig or regedit, I get this: a blue band across my monitor saying 'This app cannot run on your PC'

If someone could tell me how to upload or attach the  log files, I'll do it ASAP

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:20 PM

You cannot attach files in Am I Infected.

There is no need to upload the logs to anywhere else.

Simply copy the logs and paste the results in a reply.

Do NOT wrap the logs in code. If the logs are long, wrapping them in code impacts the performance of the page.

#9 Avalon60

Avalon60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:23 PM

I have copied and pasted the logs but they are not appearing. When I clicked on Post 30 minutes ago, it is now saying Saving post, so I don't know if you will see them???

Its now nearly 4 hours since I posted the logs and still saying Saving post. I don't want to close the page down in case they don't appear at all.

Edited by Avalon60, 18 March 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:39 PM

Upload the file(s) here: http://www.sendspace.com/
Click on Browse button and navigate to the file you want to upload.
Click on Upload button.
Click on FIRST Copy Link button and paste the link in your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 Avalon60

Avalon60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

Hi Broni thanks for that info.

Here is the link to my log files:

http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/1I3sWAHjRIfJT7VJHjyZH4K3t7WG%2FxNz9orpCsJAi4bnBWdpvadjoZDfCNDkDphkD%2BUQTM417tPiKqyhXyztbaQujVaZpndp

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:46 PM

I have just very recently updated my hardware

What exactly was it?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 Avalon60

Avalon60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:06 AM

I upgraded my motherboard from a Asus P8Z77-V LK and cpu i5 to a Gigabyte Z97-HD3 and a i3 cpu.

All the hardware runs fine, and its just these silly software things that don't.

Out of interest, if you have looked my log files, did you find anything in them that would indicate a cause of my problem.

I went to my computer this morning to find that I no longer had permission to write to a folder on my home server, so I had to go and set all the permissions again. Then I also had a problem with a right mouse click on any folder would shut windows explorer down, and after several hours of searching for the cause , which is more apparent than I thought, I scanned with the windows all in one program again, which did not cure that problem, and also with malware bytes and spybot and other cleaning tools I have, which eventually cleared that problem.

So I've had a good day, lol

Edited by Avalon60, 20 March 2015 - 03:06 PM.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:02 PM

It may be a good idea to employ some more advanced tools.

Please follow the instructions in THIS GUIDE starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE. Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 Avalon60

Avalon60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:47 AM

Hi Broni, ok thanks for that, and I have started a new topic in the said section, and have uploaded the FRST and Additions.txt files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users