Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows can't find cmd.ex, msconfig.exe and regedit.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Avalon60

Avalon60

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:18 AM

This has just started to happen.

I typed cmd in the search box of the start menu (win8.1), then clicked on it and got a blue band across my monitor saying 'This app cannot run on your PC'
I've never had that before!

So I then right click and select run as Administrator, but then I get another message box telling me that
Windows cannot find
'C:\windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-commandprompt_31bf385ad...\cmd.exe.

For a start cmd.exe is in that location as well as being in the \System32 folder.

I have created 2 shortcuts , 1 for each location, on my desktop an can just click on either and they open up with any errors.

From which location is the correct cmd.exe to use, and why am I getting the said error message.

Also, it is the same scenario when I type msconfig.exe and regedit. After right clicking and run as Admin, Windows can't find, etc etc in the same WnSxS folder

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:32 AM

I suggest you post in the Am I Infected Forum.

#3 Avalon60

Avalon60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:03 AM

Thanks I have just posted the above in the said forum.

Actually I did think I was infected somehow ,but after running various anti malware anti spyware programs, and then the Emisoft  Emergency Repair program, the all found nothing to bother about.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

And you may be right, but experience tells me that similar problems can be caused by malware (inability to run regedit, msconfig, etc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users